1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure American history trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’d guess Hartford and Providence on the first question.

As for the second, Sacramento and Phoenix?

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Boston and Concord

Boise and Cheyenne?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Boston-Concord, 63 miles. Hartford-Providence, 65 miles. Montpelier-Hartford is 89, as is Montpelier-Concord. Harrisburg-Annapolis is 91, Cheyenne-Denver is 97, that's the closest among anything west of the Mississippi.

Sacramento-Phoenix is right, 634. Austin-Albuquerque is 615.

It's 9-10 hours between Boise and Cheyenne. But you can fill up halfway at Little America, west, and then again at Little America east in Cheyenne. And get a soft-serve cone, still only 75cents.

maumann likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What about Austin to Santa Fe? ;)

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Guess he shoulda turned left at Albuquerque.

Baron Scicluna and Spartan Squad like this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The cities of Boise and Olympia might not be farthest apart geographically, but politically? Might be the furthest.

7. micropolitan guy

Duh. Only 604, because Santa Fe is east of Albuquerque.

If not for that little slice of Oklahoma, Austin-Denver would win at 771.

garrow and Spartan Squad like this.
  8. micropolitan guy

Ada County is turning blue. Conservatives have this dumb idea that everyone moving to place like Idaho is red. They're not.

Trump won Ada over Biden by 3.9%. Trump won Ada over Clinton by 9.2%, and Romney won Ada by 11.2% over Obama.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You are correct about Boise and Ada County, but the rest of the state — and therefore the Legislature — is becoming more and more Drumpfist.

I believe the Legislature was one vote away from getting the two-thirds vote it needed to override Gov. Brad Little’s veto of a tar-and-feather your local librarians bill.

Little, of course, is a Republican too but he’s actually (a) competent and (b) not to the right of the Taliban politically, so he’s a RINO to many Idaho GOPers.

And forget about the panhandle. When you drive into North Idaho and see the “Welcome to Trump Country” billboards, believe them … and either turn around or speed through on I-90 to comparatively sane Eastern Washington or Western Montana.

10. micropolitan guy

Just drove across Idaho on I-84, holding my nose the whole way to our motel in Mt. Home, and then going as fast as I could to get out of there the next day. The one bright spot was, for the first time in about 30 years there was no road construction through Boise, just a little out in Nampa or Meridian.

OTOH, I-25 between Cheyenne and Denver is an absolute mess. Even in the spots where there was no construction, the road surface was falling apart. Yet in the construction zones it looked as if they were being repaved with concrete, not asphalt. Can't figure that out.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My parents and brother now live in Meridian. Well my parents split time between there are near Boulder. I went there for the first time at Christmas (I drove) and was very underwhelmed.

As for I-25, yup, major reconstruction of a 10-mile stretch between Johnstown and Fort Fun that is supposed to get wrapped up next year. I don't go up that way much anymore, unfortunately, though I did on Saturday and it's still a mess.

12. micropolitan guy

Yeah, I understand it being a mess because of the construction problems, south of Denver was the same for several years but now that's nice. Not using asphalt is strange, there was also a lot of construction on 80 over the Lincoln summit but the new road was asphalt and smooth as silk.

We had to detour to country roads because of a big accident in Johnstown. Man, every square inch of farmland in Larimer County is getting developed, or so it seemed.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted