1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week in ill-advised new fast food items

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Haven't been to Burger King in a long time. Disappointing to hear, used to like it a lot.

Worst downturn I've seen lately is Steak N Shake. Went to one on the midwest earlier this year. It was beyond awful. Used to be a regular.

BartonK and dixiehack like this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

BK still has its moments. I'll take their fries over anyone else's in the QSR space. They also have the "Texas Double Whopper" which has been a go-to, and a pretty good breakfast menu.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Find a Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers joint.
    Same food but much cleaner restaurant conditions

BurnsWhenIPee and dixiehack like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Culver's ... very similar. I'm blessed with each within a short drive.

Gutter, BurnsWhenIPee and dixiehack like this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I have not been to a Burger King in at least 35 years -- since I saw a mouse scurrying along underneath the order-pickup/drinks bar while eating lunch there with a colleague from the first paper at which I worked.

I can't really even say that that's the reason I haven't been back. It just has kind of happened that way. But it's funny how it did.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'll second the love for Culver's and especially Freddy's. They seem to make everything fresh and after you order it, and Freddy's seems to be clean enough to eat off the floor. Both have great fries, too.

Have a friend of my daughter who worked at a Freddy's throughout high school. She kept us swimming in free Freddy's Fry Sauce. The Golden Era ...

UNCGrad and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

We're getting a Culver's. Can't wait for the burgers and shakes.

As for "BK," I'd like to beat with a rubber hose the advertising people who came up with the shitty commmercials. They're worse than the "You can break rocks" crap on Golf Channel a few years ago.

Best fries from The Before Times, when hot and fresh from the oil:

Five Guys (still the champ, today)
    Wendy's
    Krystal
    McDonald's
    Arby's Curly with Horsey Sauce
    Burger King

Wendy's, Krystal and BK did something to their fries. Different cut, different oil, something. They're not as good as a few years ago.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I remember the last time I went to BK, it was in Flagstaff on a move to Phoenix in June 2006. Have not stepped foot in one since. And I never minded it before then.

About that time I went through a bit of a fast food transition. I started eating it less overall and the traditional stop, McDonald's, Wendy's, BK, Taco Bell, pretty much ceased to exist to me. I have had all but BK for some reason since, although less than 10 times each. I used to die for McDonald's, but my wife has never liked it thus part of why I stopped going there, but if I went today it would wreck me.

That said, fast food definitely is still not a staple, but give me a Freddy's or something like that and I will go to town and be fine. I just like non-traditional fast food I guess.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have a Long John Silvers story for you.
    4 years ago, on a Friday……group of is go to a local one here. The grease was just palpable. It soaked through every piece of the cardboard and into the tray. I just got the fish/chicken combo. Nothing too far off the grid.
    We officiated a high school football game that night.
    We’re on the field 30 minutes before kick for pregame, meet captains, etc etc,
    With about 33 on the clock, it hit. Good Gracious, it hit.
    It is a massive miracle that there was a restroom just a little ways off the field right next to the concession stand.
    I start doing a duck waddle to the bathroom. I go into the bathroom, the pisser is full, but the stall is open. I can tell you this with 1000% certainty. If the stall would have been occupied, there would have been a horrified human being that would have washed his hands next.
    Have not darkened a LJS since.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't eat less than three hours before working a game.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

LJS is so bad, the one in my town closed. I have an irrational desire for LJS about every other year, but fortunately I can't sate that desire here.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I’m longer than that.
    I’ll eat a light lunch, then nothing til after the game.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted