1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Their pan pizzas reheat OK. But you're right, there has never been anything on God's green Earth better than piping hot Pizza Hut at the table in the restaurant. Might burn self. don't care, burning roof of mouth, don't care, skin is entirely off the roof of my mouth, totally worth it.

wicked, MileHigh and dixiehack like this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Maybe it was just me and my gluttonous buddies giving them no choice, but the cheese and pepperoni pizzas got replaced every few minutes at our joint.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My 2002 CRV had one, but it finally crapped out and had to replace it. Loved it because I still have a ton of great 60s-70s-80s music on cassette tapes.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Alright, you all have convinced me. I will seek out a dine-in Pizza Hut this weekend and report back. But not a store front in a shopping center. I want an old-school standalone Hut with the stacked red roof. I might have to drive a bit for that one.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

If you come and get me we will Planes, Trains and Automobiles this shit.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There were Happy Joe's in Minot and Bismarck that were great. Bismarck also had A&B Pizza, which cut the slices in squares and had great taco pizza in the early 1980s.

And deep-dish Pizza Hut was pretty fine.

Graig Nettles was involved with the Old Towne Pizza chain on the West Coast that was also pretty fine. Not sure if there are any remaining but the one in Microville was a go-to destination.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I live in Bumblefuck, Indiana. So we have both a Pizza Hut straight out of 1988 with a buffet AND a Pizza King that produces the shittiest, most expensive pizza cut into squares imaginable.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Our Pizza Hut closed during the COVID shutdown, and I don't know why.
    It's been there at least for as long as I remember, and up until the shutdown, I always remember it being busy. For some place as long established as it was, I can't possibly see a few months' lull forcing it to shut. I know business would have carried on as usual when things reopened.
    The same thing happened to our Long John Silvers, but I think that had more to do with their product nose diving over the last couple of decades.
    Pizza Hut, Long John's, Western Sizzlin', and Bonanza were my town's sit-down options unless you wanted the local "good old country cookin" ... which is a different story*

*Why the heck would I want to go out to eat the same thing I eat at home the other six days of the week?

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Which leads to another thing young people have no idea about: you can get pretty much anything you want to eat with relative ease these days, and that's why civic groups can't make money on suppers anymore as fundraisers.
    For example, I just said what small town America's options were, but you knew what group had what kind of meal and when.
    This church had a big breakfast on a certain Saturday.
    That Ruritan did a BBQ supper twice a year on the weekend of the time changes.
    One Masonic lodge did a fish fry once a year
    Another one did an oyster supper.
    Some other group had an annual spaghetti supper.

All those things were not on the daily menu, so people turned out, and the organizations made money.
    The last few meals we've tried to do netted a couple of hundred bucks because nothing you can do is special. I've basically said, "8-10 people work 6-8 hours for a couple hundred? No thanks. I'll give you the money not to kill an entire Saturday."

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

We had a Pizza Hut that didn't have the best reputation in town. But we had a pair of Pizza Inns that did something fairly similar to what Pizza Hut did in nearby towns.

Funny enough, the Pizza Hut didn't have a buffet but the Pizza Inns did. And it was pretty good. At least until you've had something closer to real Italian food.

Draft saved Draft deleted