1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Anchor Brewing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HanSenSE, Jul 12, 2023.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

After delving deep into the craft beer side and going through a phase with each variant, I too have come back around to just wanting to drink beers that taste like beer. Give me a basic lager or Pilsner and I’ll be super happy.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I crossed the Guinness bridge a long time ago, and glad of it.
    Once I went to stouts, everything else pales. And not just literally.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Beer-flavoured beer, please.

ChrisLong and Liut like this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Our breweries have done a nice job of diversifying their offerings, as people have made it clear they don't just want IPAs. Triple Crossing in Richmond makes a fine lager, a really good German pils plus a lot of lower alcohol offerings. I still enjoy IPAs but I'm at the point where I have one or two and that's enough for me. My go-to one in Virginia is Get Bent from Parkway Brewing in Salem. Really balanced, not too hoppy, not too malty. Kind of an old-school IPA in a world where everything is trying to out-hazy everything else.

spikechiquet likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Fuck!

I once covered my beer night on the softball team with about four cases’ worth of all the Steam varieties.

FUCK

7. Vombatus

Makes the DB move seem even smarter. They told me how it positioned them better - not just for marketing, shelf space, wider distribution, etc, but it also gave them buying power to get choice ingredients.

It wasn’t just a sellout.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

True, but Jason Oliver definitely got butthurt about all of the sellout talk. I remember seeing him at one of the craft fests wearing a hat that read "Still a craft brewery" and there was talk of quieting haters, things of that nature. The original owners of DB never expected it to get so big and were basically overwhelmed so they decided to sell. I understood. DB was never my favorite Virginia brewery anyway, but they have their strong points. The facility/campus in Roseland is great.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The macro spending spree hasn't been all good. AB-InBev is selling or closing some of the micros it bought. Coors and Miller tried fooling people into buying beers that seemed micro.

Also, for people who like beer flavored beer, some micros are brewing Mexican lagers. Jack's Abby makes some great drinkable lagers.

spikechiquet likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Still one of the best local T-Shirts.

Nelson County, VA
    More Breweries Than Stoplights

part-timer likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The craze that has me pushing back on crafts is sours. Whenever I go shopping for beer (which lately hasn’t been often. I just find myself not wanting to drink unless there’s an occasion) I get my hopes up when I see new offerings from different crafts. But they’re all sours. I end up going back to Anchor because they have a simple, tasty beer. I don’t want a triple bitter, triple the alcohol IPA.

Don’t get me wrong, a good IPA is still good, but I want something simpler to enjoy two of.

Heard a radio interview where craft brewers show off to each other with lagers. Those are usually more time consuming so they tend to be what brewers judge skill.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Interesting. In a previous, child-less life friends and I would go to the Great American Beer Fest in Denver every other year or so. You'd get toward the end of the last night and all the regular stuff would be running low, but every brewery still had "Blueberry Peach Pie Cobbler Sour," or whatever random ass combination of ingredients the maker seemed to come across, and I'd curse those as brewers trying to show off to one another. (This was slightly before sours started showing up so heavily in stores.)

Draft saved Draft deleted