1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Anchor Brewing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HanSenSE, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I was sad to see the news about Anchor Steam, but honestly, my first thought was "Oh no, I like that beer! I haven't had one in ... a long, long time." I guess my instinct has been to pick a local brew ahead of something from the coast. It's not 2000. It's a damn competitive world for microbrews these days, between powerhouse coast-to-coast "micros" like New Belgium and local micros at every store.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That is absolutely correct. An IPA is way, way easier to make.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In Rochester they'd call that the beer-making equivalent of a garbage plate.

Tighthead likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

IPAs just plain suck.

Lagers, especially in the summer, all day long.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Walked through the beer aisle during lunch today and all the Anchor Steam was gone. Even our wine guy was astounded.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but these younger folks drinking all this seltzer shit isn’t helping the micro beer market either.

And I blame all the IPA-2x-3x focus for that too. Those are more calories. And along comes seltzers… to offer lower cal options.

It’s amazing to see seltzers go from just one tap at a joint to several, and the ensuing reorganization of shelf, floor and refrigerator space in stores.

I go into some stores and look around and think “fuck”.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Went through the store this afternoon and peeked just to see. All the Anchor stuff was gone.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A lot of breweries are now brewing their own hard seltzers to capture the non-beer people who come with their friends. Smart move.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I have beers I can drink to be social. When I tried a Summer Shandy at the minor league park this spring, it was the first time I ever finished a beer and strongly considered ordering another. Some of us are not cut out for the hops life.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Lagers are frowned upon for a bunch of reasons. Homebrewing and craftbtewing came out of UK beer culture, which is ale. Macros were all lager, which was seem as the enemy. It's much cheaper to brew an ale. You don't have to keep the temperature down and it takes half as long. There is more to do with ale, also

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A Leinie's shandy is a staple of my summers.

12. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I remember drinking an original Leinenkugel's from Chippewa Falls, Wis, in the '70s. It induced a brain-splitting headache.

Of course the current Leinie's is a boutique brand for MillerCoors. Miller brews a lot of Leinie's at a high-tech automated brewery in Milwaukee. It's a macro masquerading as a craft beer.

The brewery workers at Leinie's Chippewa Falls plant just went on strike, BTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted