1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Our Pizza Hut when I was a kid was the No. 3 or No. 4 destination, but we still went there a bit since it was just down the street from my dad's business. Was still good with the buffet and the games and the birthday parties, but we had other, sometimes better, options.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We had a Pizza Works in my town. It was better than Pizza Hut.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Our local junior college was less than a block away from the Pizza Hut. There was also a Foster's Freeze ice cream store next to Pizza Hut. The college and two high schools used the football field so Pizza Hut was the hangout afterward. After the JC's first game of the season, Pizza Hut was packed and they ran out of beer. Then they ran out of pizza. I tried to tell the manager to send somebody across town to another Hut and get some ingredients, but he didn't want to.
    By the second week, they were fully stocked. That night, people started dancing to the jukebox. It was very crowded and at one point, four guys picked up the salad bar and carried it out to the parking lot. They pushed the tables aside to create a dance floor.
    It was very convenient (being 6 blocks from where I lived) and our go-to place so we didn't have to go across town the LaBarbera's, the best pizza ever, period.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Many years ago, there was a place in Snellville, Ga., called Pizza Ring, which apparently had previously been Pizza King. The sign out front still had a king on it, but the new owners changed out the K for an R.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That it's important to be on time, apparently?

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This has been making the rounds. Hasn't gotten a lot of sympathy across the board. Sometimes you wonder if people do things like this to go viral or something along those lines?

That said, reading a lot of comments, it does sound like this is an issue with people who have ADHD, but most, even those who have this problem, were saying being diligent with things like alarms helps fix it!

Batman likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh thank God. We certainly needed Libs of TikTok to brighten up a lighthearted thread.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I was going to say we could have posted any number of sources from that this week! It did pretty much go viral.

Batman likes this.
  9. dixiehack

When we moved to my mom’s home town in the summer of 81, there may have been as few as five national chain restaurants:
    • Sonic (maybe one of the first locations outside the southern Plains)
    • Wendy’s
    • Pizza Hut
    • Kentucky Fried Chicken
    • Dairy Queen
    There were a few other mom and pops or small chains, but not much variety. No sub shops, nowhere to get Mexican or Chinese food. No food delivery of any kind.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I tried to post the original TikTok video, but the SJ machinery doesn't allow it to be embedded.

11. dixiehack

Another one I thought of: school films. Not movies. Not videos. Certainly not streaming. Actual filmstrips. And often not even full-on motion pictures, but glorified slide shows, with one student appointed to advance the film at the next beep. And somehow this might be the most stimulating thing in class for the month.

HanSenSE and Driftwood like this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Or watching a space launch on TV in your classroom or in the elementary school auditorium. Or, a teacher using an overhead projector.

Draft saved Draft deleted