1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Anchor Brewing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HanSenSE, Jul 12, 2023.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Sam Adams has been sneakily doing the hard cider and seltzer bit for the last decade.

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

When I was 21, I spent the summer taking courses at Berkeley. Coming from absolute rural Ontario, I thought I was quite the sophisticate ordering Anchor Steams in various establishments. High sentimental value for this rube.

TigerVols and Huggy like this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of great breweries in the Berkeley-Oakland-San Leandro area -- Drake, Linden St., 21st Amendment (in S.F.), Elevation 66, Triple Rock, Trumer. Beer Revolution is a couple blocks east of Jack London Square. .......

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Rare Barrel out of Berkeley also offers some great beer.

21st Amendment is great. They have a blood orange IPA I make a point to get when I am stocking up.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Cleophus Quealy was a cool place in San Leandro. Had several beers up to 8 ABV.
    Linden St. had a black lager that was the bomb.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

These are tough times for anchors.

MileHigh, TigerVols, Slacker and 3 others like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Up until a decade ago, Newcastle was my beer of choice. You can't even find it anymore.
    Sam Adams used to be a big deal. I haven't had one in years except for I do enjoy Octoberfest in the fall. Boston Lager? Don't remember the last time I had one.
    When Yuengling hit the scene, I'd bootleg it across state lines. Now it's ubiquitous, and I generally move along.

exmediahack likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

For the most part the craft beer thing here in Toronto didn't do it for me. Overpriced, often lousy, beer that, as been mentioned here, focused on mega-hoppy, heavy IPAs to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. And if you happened to find a beer you liked, it might never be found in your local liquor or beer store again due to distribution issues at the source.

There are some places making good beer, Mill Street (bought by Labatt), Henderson and Trestle, a brewery in Bobby Orr's hometown of Parry Sound that I try to hit whenever I am up that way. But I stick to the brands I drank long before the craft beer thing: Labattt 50, Molson Export and Old Vienna. Can't go wrong with the classics.

10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Unibroue in Quebec makes some fantastic Belgian-style beers. They aren't cheap, and you won't want to quaff a few after mowing the lawn. But I don't think any brewery in North America matches Unibroue's Fin du Monde, Maudite and Trois Pistoles.

FileNotFound and X-Hack like this.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fin du Monde, end of the world indeed! Definitely not the kind of beer you chug by the pool!

12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I think Maudite goes back to about 1990 or so when I lived there. Montreal had its own version of Sam Adams/Anchor Steam back then - St-Ambroise. It’s still going but not sure how popular.

FileNotFound and Huggy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted