1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Lee Enterprises thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 12, 2020.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If nothing else, the copy desk/paginators hear management hammering away at the “we’re a digital first company!” At our shop, printing three days a week, the eEditions are treated like the runt of the litter: an annoyance that was done just to keep the old fart subscribers appeased when we stopped printing seven days a week.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Richmond Times-Dispatch laid off its sports editor yesterday. The state of newspapers in Virginia is just sad right now. And Lee basically owns everything.

3. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

What Lee doesn't own Tribune does. Yes, it's dire.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Alden, the owner of the Tribune company, is trying to buy Lee.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Are they trying again? Their last try a few months ago got rejected strongly.

6. LanceyHoward

Not yet. I should ahve said I was speculating. But Lee turned down a cash offer of $24 a share in 2021 when the stock was selling for about $18. The Board said that the Alden offer undervalued the company and rejected it.

Since then Lee stock has declined to about $13 a share. If Lee made another offer not the Board might feel legally obligated to sell. The Board has a fiduciary responsibility to the stockholders to maximize their profit. It might be difficult for the Board to turn down a price of $18 or so given the laggard stock price and the general lack of buyers of newspapers.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lee selling off another property, and some union busting.
    upload_2023-11-17_10-55-28.png

8. I Should Coco

I’m no labor lawyer, but this sounds illegal to me … especially if the union has some sort of job protection in case of a sale clause in its contract.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. writingump

writingump Member

As one of the affected reporters, I can report to you that as of 2 hours ago, the sale has been delayed until forther notice.

10. I Should Coco

Good to hear, wg! Hopefully that local buyer has a chance now instead of Paxton.

11. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

12. LanceyHoward

Lee saw print revenues drop about 27% while digital went up about seven percent. Total revenues were down 14%, But the company says the good news is digital revenues have now surpassed print revenues. Because print revenues are dropping like a rock.

By comparison Gannett revenues are dropping in total about five percent annually. So that it appears Gannett is being substantially better managed than Lee. When I can think of an example that I can use for the sake of comparison I will edit my post but right now I am trying to get my arms around any company being more screwed up than Gannett.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
    Lt.Drebin, Readallover and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted