1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers on changes in Los Angeles Times sports section going into effect Monday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 4, 2023.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Soccer, the fastest growing sport in the U.S. since 1950

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My dead tree Sunday LA Times isn't a complete waste. We are painting a closet door today, and I laid some newspaper down on the garage floor to catch paint.

HanSenSE, ChrisLong and SixToe like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Probably poor quality newsprint and leaked through.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Wife's friend found 100-year-old newspapers inside the walls during a recent reno.

Sizable paper always has its utilities.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

My family had the last evening edition of The Boston Globe because my father's aunt had her obituary.

Irish sport pages. Among the self deprecating Irish American jokes that is the best. Having seen people do it and starting to do it myself.

"Irish amnesia" is a very close second.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's been all soccer with this "magazine style stuff. Just think what it would be if there were no women's World Cup. Agree, complete garbage. I ate up the LAT for many years as a kid and beyond. A destination stop for me back in the day. Now? Utter sadness.

SixToe likes this.
  8. MileHigh

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This letter hit the nail squarely on the head:

I understand the desire for The Times to put a spit-shined PR spin on the recent decimation of its Sports section vis-à-vis the removal of game recaps, standings, box scores and TV listings — a.k.a. the very purpose and life’s blood of any Sports section — but please don’t patronize your print readership. These changes aren’t being made because you think we have some burning desire to read a “daily sports magazine” or because your print customers aren’t reading those features. They’re being made because financial considerations have conspired to move the paper’s print deadline to mid-afternoon. If you expect people to continue to turn to The Times for news, you at least owe your last remaining print customers the truth.

Jessica Morgan
    Pasadena

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The LA Times sports section is suffering from multiple catastrophes, none of which would be improved if TJ Simers were back on the payroll.

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

think of how fucked the department would be with him, his crappy attitude, his 1978 worldview of 'legacy media' and his dead-weight salary still on board.

12. MileHigh

Draft saved Draft deleted