1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Been awfully quiet in the Atlantic. Just the one fish storm way out past Newfoundland that is subtropical.

Too quiet.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

As warm as the water is down in the gulf, if a storm pushes its way into that area it's liable to be one helluva strong hurricane.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The Atlantic is beyond hot, too, and that scares me about August and September.
    There is a system folks are watching coming off Africa right now that could form next week and turn into something.
    October 1 is usually safe harbor day for the Atlantic coast. We'll see.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That was always my breathe easier date. Until Wilma's eye winked at me in 2005. Oct. 24, 2005.

Driftwood and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That was the year everything changed, I think.

6. BTExpress

It was so bad IRS let people deduct casualty losses dollar for dollar (instead of having to reach some high threshold having to do with your income). I didn't know about it until after I had filed, so I quickly filed a form 1040X with $4,400 in losses and got about $1,000 back for my trouble.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Never forget:

upload_2023-7-18_9-26-37.png

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Wilma came across from the Gulf side, though.

9. BTExpress

Yeah, it was. And that's usually no big deal for South Florida, but this thing was motoring at 25 mph and barely had a blink to weaken before it was upon us. Strong front just gave it a mighty push east, instead of the usual NNE path these things take.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And adding to the fun: we're forecast to top 110 every day for at least another week. We're going to obliterate this record.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We got to 108º in DFW today and Denton got to 110º. The record for July 18 (and the month of July all-time) for DFW is 110º, set in 1980.

But the humidity was down and there was a decent breeze about 15-20 mph out of the southwest. Call me a heretic, but I prefer this over 98º with 60% humidity.

Draft saved Draft deleted