1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My 2007 Mazda 3, purchased new, made it to 300,000. It blew a water pump before it got to 301,000.
    That car was so great, though, that I've had two more Mazda 3s since then. They created some brand loyalty with me.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Classic black 2002 CRV, 211,000 miles. Bought it for Micro Jr. in 2014, he drove it until 2019, then I took it and we traded in my Camry when he got a more Colorado-suited vehicle. Hopefully it keeps right on ticking because I love it, and not having a car payment.

My wife has a Pilot, and had a Pilot and CRV before that. Hondas are good cars and the local dealership is top-notch. I don't like driving her Pilot around town, but I love it out on the highway.

Driftwood I had a 4-door, short bed Tacoma Prerunner for about seven years before downsizing. I loved that freaking truck.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My brother has 362,000 on his Mazda3. Good thing, too, that it outlived his payments, as he took out a ridiculous seven-year loan.

Batman likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

2012 CRV greyish blue with 155,000 and counting. Gonna get the headlights polished a second time this week and get her ready to be stored in a garage again. I'm amazed at how the black trimwork still looks brand new.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Had a ‘99 Camry that I got to 275,000 before selling it. Kicking myself to this day. Good old car.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I had an '87 Toyota truck (before they had models) that I bought used in '96 I think. I sold it in 2002 and still see it around town from time to time.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Had a 2003 Corolla with almost 200K on the odometer. Gave it to a niece for a high school graduation present. She still has it, and she graduated from VCU this spring. Current car is a 2018 Subaru Forester. It's at 47,000 miles now. Needed a bigger car than the Corolla now that I live in a town with a transfer station (dump) instead of public garbage pickup.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Had a no frills late 90s (I want to say 97) Mazda pickup that was really just a rebadged Ranger. I adored that truck and it ran like a champ. Even when my ex hydroplaned and rolled it into an embankment in the middle of I-59 it held up and protected her from serious injury (and amazingly didn’t get totaled by insurance). Wish I’d have made her ride in the tailgate instead of trading it in for a Ford Escape that barely made it five years.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Man, y’all drive a ton. My ‘98 Cobra, which I bought in 2000, is only at a little less than 130,000 total miles.

Liut likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I drove about 55,000 miles a year as a reporter.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, and back in the day like one of our photographers found out... drive your private vehicle on assignment to somewhere you'd never have gone on your own and get in a wreck, that's your problem, not the paper's.
    For a while, in the Toyota I reference, in snow situations my old paper would ask me to go pick up employees who couldn't make it in. Sure. Then I asked if they were going to cover me if I slid off the road. "Don't you have insurance?" Thus ended the shuttle service.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As a longtime Honda customer, I am proud to share that my town recently has been plagued with thefts of catalytic converters -- from 20-plus year old Civics.

Draft saved Draft deleted