1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, when it gets 75 at 8K at our place in the Snowies it's hot.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

119 in Phoenix today.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Remembering from my childhood all the red-mercury thermometers that topped out at 120.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Rest safely, there is no such thing as "red mercury."

Analog thermometers like those are still sold today and are mostly either alcohol or kerosene with red dye. They expand with temperature accordingly and are much safer. The MSDS in my store breakroom would state differently.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

7. Twirling Time

Summer is boring.

Liut likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Tornadoes all around tonight
    Massive storm coming through right now that could dump 2 inches of rain PER HOUR.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This might be a dumb question ...
    I know this heat wave is exceptional even for Phoenix, but it's not uncommon to get temperatures of 110 to 120 there in the summer, right?
    Is it just the duration of the heat wave that is making this one particularly rough?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Correct. Phoenix is used to 105-110 for prolonged stretches, but when you start getting above 115, I don't care if it's a dry heat, it's gross. And for this to go on as long as it has just taxes your system, especially when it never cools at night.

Liut, Batman and MileHigh like this.
  11. Twirling Time

Sometimes Satan gives you a kiss. Today was MUCH cooler after a brief front and it got to just 92º. Supposed to be 69º in the morning when I go in to work.

But the horn-spiked dildo returns in earnest next week. Back to triple digits on Monday, and by next Sunday GFS models 110º. The suburbs will be a tick cooler but it'll still be nasty.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Nice

Inky_Wretch and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted