1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The playoffs have become such a crapshoot with the additional rounds, one player doesn't make the difference that he could have in the past. It's more important to be hot in October than great during the regular season.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Indisputably true, and the 2022 Phillies (my team) are Exhibit A.

Batman and FileNotFound like this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Brewers did it in 2008, trading for a couple months of CC Sabathia. He dominated down the stretch, then signed with the Yankees for a bazillion bucks.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

If it's me, and I give up the farm for Ohtani, I have to be certain I can sign him long-term. He's totally worth whatever the Angels can get for him. But I'd want to be sure I'd have him for 10 years. And that guarantee is pretty much impossible.

Is it more or less established he'll end up on the West Coast with his upcoming megadeal? That seems to be the overwhelming sentiment. Selfishly, same as Trout, I'd love to see him with an East Coast team so I could see him more.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think Tampa should do it, even understanding the cost for a short period of time. Im that division, this might be their best shot and that team needs a shot in the arm.

And I trust Tampa to send prospects that don’t pan out, but look good on paper.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Onion not far from the truth

Angels GM On Ohtani Potentially Leaving: ‘We Are The Most Incompetent Franchise In The History Of Professional Sports’ (theonion.com)

“None of us know what the fuck we’re doing,” said Minasian, explaining why the supremely talented pitcher, designated hitter, outfielder, and 2021 American League MVP would likely become a free agent and leave the team that had failed to make the playoffs in all his years with them. “Only the most inept organization led by absolute idiots could have gotten six seasons of Ohtani’s prime, paired him with Mike Trout—another generational talent—and then, by some miracle of stupidity, failed to provide a supporting cast good enough to win at least a World Series or two. Did we even win the goddamn division? Not once. What a bunch of goddamn morons we are."

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That is not The Onion. That is the f***ing truth.

FileNotFound, Hermes, Batman and 2 others like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I still hate the rule.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

True. Moreover, you can’t make the deal without agreeing to a long-term deal with Ohtani.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is beyond extreme, whatever it is.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hat tip to the Rays' pitching staff, induced 10 looking strikeouts against the O's last night. Eflin was fantastic. Let's see if Grayson Rodriguez can get through six innings today. He looked awesome the first two trips through the order against the Dodgers Monday then pissed down his leg the third time through.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted