1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Plague is right. Been going on around here for the past couple of years. Recently on the Next Door app, somebody complained about being harassed in a Costco parking lot and her elderly dad having his watch stolen off his wrist by quick-handed Middle Easterners. She asked why they didn't have cameras in the lot and checked with several employees if they saw anything. She was told that at least three employees had their catalytic converters stolen in the middle of the afternoon while they were inside at work.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There really should be laws against scrap places taking catalytic converters not attached to vehicles. If some dufuss walks up with one in his hand, he obviously didn't just have it laying around.

Liut likes this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

We have an old mall in town anchored by a now-closed Sears and a still-open Macy's. The town has been in talks with owner Simon Co. about redevelopment. Beyond taxes, for decades all the shoplifting has provided an important revenue stream for our town via the local court. Imagine being concerned for your taxes because a local source of crime is about to go away.

4. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

1998 Toyota (bought new) is at about 97,500. But I've worked from home for several years. And used public transportation and biked to work frequently before that.

Liut likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’ve taken to driving everywhere at 45 mph to both annoy the hell out of my wife and bump up my mpg to over 50 in our SUV.

Turns out enraging fellow drivers is really funny when you’re not in a hurry and leave plenty of time to arrive places.

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The lost verse to Try That In A Small Town.

PaperDoll and Hermes like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Doing it in a hybrid on an unpassable road with a dually pickup behind me is the greatest thrill of my life.

Key is to have a coffee to sip and then chuckle as they eventually pass you with rage-filled eyes.

I’m going to slowly kill them by raising their blood pressure.

2muchcoffeeman, Liut and OscarMadison like this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Or they’re going to quickly kill you for target practice.

Speaking of small towns and the economy, I’m going back to visit my parents over Labor Day. We taking bets on the over/under of bootleg shirts, hats and stickers with that asshole song title that will be out in public?

Liut and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I’ve had police protect my house from a loose convict. I’m not afraid of Jeb in his F350.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've made more than one smartass pull over because they are poking along, especially if it's night. You'd better like the high beams less than 20 feet off your bumper.
    And I'm not even a real speeder. But there's no greater asshole on the planet than some jerk doing 10 mph below the speed limit.
    I would fully support legislation that allows you to bump people from behind... get 'em out of the groove, rattle their cage a litte!

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

A therapist can help you with that.

My four-year old would like when you bunped us, though. He’s a daredevil.

My wife wouldn’t be so kind in hiring one of her law school friends though.

But you’re all talk.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted