1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dude that one hits different

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Just shining the light.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Debating posting it to FB, where I've had disagreements about that song. I'm just not sure it's worth the shitstorm.

Oughta just post both of those back to back and mute the replies, lol.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I took it from my feed

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Aldean also sang a song in 2019 about how much his small town sucked. I wonder what happened between them and now that changed his mind?

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was talking to one guy on Facebook who said since I haven’t heard the song that I’m wrong to say it’s pro-lynching.

Did I really miss the point of the song?

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yes you did. It’s pro lychee. You know that red fruit that looks like a strawberry except you have to peel it? Understandable mix up.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

For information purposes: the lyrics of "Try That in a Small Town."

[Verse 1] Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk Carjack an old lady at a red light Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store Ya think it’s cool, well, act a fool if ya like Cuss out a cop, spit in his face Stomp on the flag and light it up Yeah, ya think you’re tough

[Chorus] Well, try that in a small town See how far ya make it down the road 'Round here, we take care of our own You cross that line, it won’t take long For you to find out, I recommend you don’t Try that in a small town

[Verse 2] Got a gun that my granddad gave me They say one day they’re gonna round up Well, that shit might fly in the city, good luck

[Chorus] Try that in a small town See how far ya make it down the road 'Round here, we take care of our own You cross that line, it won’t take long For you to find out, I recommend you don’t Try that in a small town

[Bridge] Full of good ol’ boys, raised up right If you’re looking for a fight

[Chorus] Try that in a small town (See how far ya make it down the road) 'Round here, we take care of our own You cross that line, it won’t take long For you to find out, I recommend you don’t Try that in a small town

The problems with the song came up more because of the video, when it came out after the song itself, than because of the lyrics, which don't include anything about lynchings but do express support for gun ownership and use, and use examples of bad/criminal behavior that, the song says, a small town would not be OK with.

But, add in the video -- featuring protests, riotous and mob-ish behavior, and violent scenes -- and set it in front of a Tennessee courthouse where an 18-year-old Black man, Henry Choate, was lynched in 1927 after being falsely accused of raping a 16-year-old white girl who never identified him as her attacker, and, well, this is what you get: people in an uproar about it, but the song nonetheless skyrocketing to the top of the music charts because of all the notoriety, and, essentially, out of curiosity.

And people really aren't sure what the message is supposed to be.

Whatever it is -- definitely and understandably divisive -- it is not positive, and I think that's something that country music usually strives to be.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Uvalde was a small town.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Country music is all about "Your cheatin' heart" or some other such catastrophe. Not exactly walking on sunshine.

Gloom, despair and agony on me
    Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
    If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all
    Gloom, despair and agony on me

"Try that in a small town" is simply 2023's version of "Have you forgotten?" that insipid pandering Darryl Worley song from a few years after 9/11.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Exactly what consequences do you think are being implied by “see how far ya make it down the road?”

Draft saved Draft deleted