1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw the CMA's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Guess the rural area I currently live in is an exception. Haven't observed that.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Marx also has talent. We can argue about some of his songs being 80s cheese, but so was half of Michael Jackson's catalog.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

1) that story was from 20 years ago

2) I shouldn’t have implied it’s everywhere but

3) I was in DC in May for a school trip. I wore a pride shirt (Star Wars light sabers in the rainbow colors). Some chaperones from Missouri hand me some dirty looks over breakfast and some dude at the air museum at Dullas started muttering something about Chad and laughed as I passed. So the shit is out there. I guess it depends how overt or not your town is.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

It absolutely must exist among my neighbors, then. Thought I knew them better than that.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I didn’t mean to offend here. I was making a broad observation. Of course there are exceptions and I’m sure your town is very nice. I’m saying if it happened in my liberal town, it can happen in others especially where fuck your feelings flags fly proudly.

I’m just glad there is at least one small town out there I can show my support for the LGBTQ community with a t-shirt in the local store without getting comments.

Neutral Corner and Liut like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I wear my T-rex waving a pride flag T-shirt to my mostly redneck bar, and nobody says shit to me. I also wear my We Are All Human T-shirt there as well. My opinion: Fuck them if they don't like it.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Understood. No worries.
    I'll confess to being overly annoyed by generalizations. That's on me.
    EDIT: IIRC, it was Hermes who recently stated it well, i.e. a recent Supreme Court case, something along the lines of why can't we just let people be themselves regarding sexual orientation.
    I can count my number of true friends on one hand. That number dropped by one a couple of years ago. He was gay. I'm not. And it never mattered.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If there is a god in heaven this year’s CMAs open with this smalltown song…

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He's benefiting from the Bud Light effect. They're rallying around the flag, voting with their wallets. Odds are that there was some marketing/PR exec that nailed it.

Guessing we'll see a wave of copycat racist country songs.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

David Allan Coe says they’re all a bunch of pikers.

Batman and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is there a book or long form article about the system of songwriting in country music? The whole spectrum of how songs get made is interesting. The greatest country album was written almost entirely by someone else. Some people write everything, others collaborate, others just sing what is given to them.

It seems archaic, like pop music in the early 1960's.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Imagine what his fans would do? They're a dedicated bunch of Marxists.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted