1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I remember several times playing high school baseball in Walnut Creek where the game time temp at 6 p.m. was 100-plus and Dad driving up with a wool coat in the car from The City, where it probably didn't get out of the 50s all day. Marine layer/Berkeley Hills.

I've worn a ski jacket to a June night game at Candlestick and still been shivering.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Clockwise winds rolling down from the north all day.

maumann likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The coldest I've ever been at a baseball game was at Candlestick in the early '70s in June. So bad we left in the sixth inning of a 1-1 tie, and it was Marichal vs. Seaver!

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We've just had a wonderful 10-day stretch in the PNW. Highs in the low 80s, cooling off at night to the upper 50s, light breezes, no humidity, no bugs.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

The older I get (now 51), the more my summer travel features hiking trips to places that are much cooler than my home in Georgia. I've stood in snow in summer for 14 years in a row. Earlier this month, it was a trip to scorching hot Salt Lake City, but drive less than 30 minutes up the mountain and the temp drops 20 degrees. Hike another hour up and there's loads of snow still on the ground and even a small iceberg floating in a mountain lake.

maumann likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I remember watching coverage of Bonds breaking Aaron's record and the crowd was dressed like it was November in New England.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Too late for me to do it this year, but I want to spend the last three weeks of July one year just exploring the UP of Michigan on my own. I've been told the northern LP has its moments too.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Be sure to bring bug spray … they don’t call the mosquito the U.P.’s state bird for nothing.

On the other hand, Lake Superior certainly isn’t going to have a 100 degree water temp in the summer. It will cool you off!

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

LOL ... I avoided considering Alaska precisely because of the mosquito problem.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And here I am considering a late-August trip to central Oklahoma, like a dumbass.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

112 here today, meaning we have hit 110+ every single day in July. We are supposed to top out around 109 tomorrow, so we may not make it a full month.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Close enough. I'll concede that putt.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted