1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And luckily apart from two teams the National League is a heaping bowl of meh otherwise the Giants wouldn’t be in it. But yeah let’s be grateful for the two starters, no one hitting above .300, the team leader in homers with 14, are 16th in runs scored, middle of the road in team homers and OPS and a team that strikes out the third most in the majors.

So sure, I should just be happy with doing jack shit at the deadline.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Jack Flaherty to the O's? That had just entered my mind about 20 minutes ago. Let's see what they give up.

EDIT: INF Cesar Prieto (AA), P Drew Rom (AAA), P Zach Showalter (R). Only one that stings a little is Prieto, but they're awfully deep with infielders.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s too bad they didn’t sign who you wanted in the summer, they’d be leading the league.

Who did you want and what were you prepared to give up?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Eduardo Rodriguez cited a desire to be near his family on the East Coast as a reason to veto a trade to the Dodgers. It is a few months, including the post-season, and he would have had the opportunity to compete for a World Series. That can't be the real reason, can it?

It kind of screwed both teams, especially the Tigers. They get nothing for him and he likely opts out to be a free agent after the season.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

He also disappeared for two months last year after an IL stint -- citing family problems -- which cost him salary and a spot on the 40-man roster while the Tigers wondered where he went.

They will get a compensation pick in next year's draft if he decides to opt out over the winter. So there's that. But an odd duck indeed.

6. maumann

I think this might be it for Trey Mancini as well. The Cubs DFA'd him. Unless somebody takes a flier on a -1.2 WAR player, I can't imagine he's got much baseball left in him.

7. jr/shotglass

That's a bummer, given all the guy's been through. But I think he's somebody who will land on his feet outside of baseball.

8. maumann

His uncle runs the family-owned Mancini Foods, a Florida-based distributor of canned peppers, onions and hot sauce. He's also married to Sara Perlman of NBC Sports. I think he'll be OK.

tapintoamerica and jr/shotglass like this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I understand that the Guardians are a game under .500. I understand that it looks like they got good value in both deals. I still think it is difficult to justify doing nothing but sell at the deadline even though they are only one game out of first place. They also got Jean Segura in the Bell trade, but they immediately cut him loose.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm actually not unpleased with the Orioles at the deadline. They needed a starter and a middle reliever and got both and they didn't give up anyone critical to the continued rebuild. They weren't getting Verlander without giving up someone like Holliday or Westburg or Henderson, and Elias clearly isn't ready to give up one of his top prospects for a rental who is still quite effective but also very much 40. There are two wild cards at play for that rotation -- whether or not John Means can offer anything this year, and if Tyler Wells gets his stuff together in the minors and comes back and offers some help down the stretch. I do have some concerns that the league has started to figure Cano out.

FileNotFound and jr/shotglass like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

Word for word.

They're still raking tonight. Santander grand slam just got them up 11-3 in the 8th. I appreciate him a little more with each passing week.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Toronto was such a pain in the Orioles' ass down the stretch last season, so I'm not hating this. They'll be 7 1/2 back after tonight. They had a chance to jump into the division race this week, so it's nice to see the O's snuff that out.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted