1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@Junkie, your team sounds like the space program. We're always 20 years away from Mars.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I didn't think they'd trade Bell because I didn't think anyone would take Bell.

Would have liked them to get something, anything that would help this year. Despite their tragically anemic offense, which was kind of expected, they'd be 10 games up if their bullpen from last year showed up. Clase, Stephan, Sandlin, and Morgan have been tagged with 14 losses combined. Swing half of those the other way and they've won 60 games.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't hate the actual trades in a vacuum. I like getting something for Civale. He is nothing special and I doubt his value would ever be higher. I just understand players and fans being pissed that they didn't get help right now given that they are in contention for the division title and the offense desperately needs help.

What I read about Manzardo is that he doesn't project to offer great power. He also isn't having a great year at AAA, so he's a big maybe. I wonder why they haven't given Rocchio a real shot at shortstop rather than trot Arias out there every day.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm stunned Civale has pitched as well as he has this year. He looked completely shook after the Yankees torched him in G5 of the ALDS last year, when Cleveland's best pitcher either couldn't or wouldn't go on short rest. How'd that work for Bieber, who is now shelved with an arm injury and will probably never get his big payday? I never underestimate the Guardians getting it right. And while they continually move the goalposts as to when they'll be good again, at least they are usually solid and, as Junkie noted, play in a shitty division where they can almost always be the favorite. And they have competent people running them, unlike, say, the Mets and Yankees.

5. outofplace

They do, but at some point, you have to try to put the team over the top. I understand not doing it this year. I'm not sure they could fix that offense at the deadline, but let's get 'em in two years can't be the mantra forever.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Mike Mussina ... veteran high school assistant baseball coach and scourge of the beat reporter!

[​IMG]

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"The kids played hard. And you can quote me." -- Mike Mussina

Baron Scicluna and jr/shotglass like this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He's an admirably odd duck. Admirable b/c he is so devoted to where he came from, an odd duck b/c, well, he's just an odd duck.

9. outofplace

Bibee isn't looking so stud-like today, but they did call up Rocchio. I didn't even realize that when I posted, but he got a start at third base today.

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Eh, he threw 5, which for the most part is all they will let any of these pansies throw, and gave up two runs. Wasn't at his best, so I'll take that against Houston.
    I have seen nothing from Rocchio yet to make me think he's better than Arias, who I have seen nothing from to make me think he's any good, either.

Part of the thinking behind hitting the eject button this year probably is their remaining schedule, which is the toughest in the AL, and includes a couple of brutal stretches. They're a .500 team against lesser competition. As the last three days showed, they don't match up well with teams that have actual budgets. I like what they're putting together, but I also know it will never materialize.

11. outofplace

That last part is why I'm critical.

I know Rocchio hasn't shown much in the majors yet. I've just read good things about him as a prospect.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm going to hell for wanting to know if Ting Tang went on to play for the Walla Walla Bing Bangs.

HanSenSE and jr/shotglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted