1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's insane. Wow.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, look, another strong pitching performance by Ohtani and the Angels are winning. Three innings for the bullpen to blow it.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I assume all bus travel, those are some long trips. Fun league though.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I really hate this two-man rotation the Giants have. It doesn’t take a genius to see exposing the bullpen this much wasn’t going to work forever. Oh and bats going cold at the same time is a nice touch.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the one trade deadline pickup, Pollock, is on the IL. Farhan's a genius in his own mind

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That's on the very short list of greatest stats of all-time. A top-5 a/t pitcher, two guys who had (or are having) solid careers and Mike Warren, who won four more games after throwing a no-hitter in game no. 162.

8. micropolitan guy

Yes, bus except for games at Edmonton, they pay for a plane flight.

Most of the trips are 6 hours or less, league is divided by divisions and you don't play all of the teams in the other division. Unfortunately this year we didn't play Bellingham, Wenatchee or Port Angeles, all traditional rivals. There are some who think the Canadian franchises (Victoria, Nanaimo, Edmonton, Kamloops, Kelowna) should be spun off into their own league, as only Kelowna is a charter member.

PS: We won, and stay alive.

JC likes this.
  9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Correct. Got it done just before the war started in the summer of 1941.

It's a venerable old park, and ever since they put turf in the playing surface is fine (and ready to go fairly early). But it can definitely be creepy. Like I said, its biggest problem is probably its location. It's bounded to the south by the freeway, to the east by railroad tracks, truck companies, tire shops and other light industry, to the north by the rest of the large recreational complex in which it sits and to the west by a tightly-knit residential neighborhood on the grittier western half of town (the one that doesn't have lake views). Looking at the map, there isn't a place you could grab a meal or a drink within a half-mile in any direction.

I've never heard a lengthy discussion about the guts of the place and if that's adequate for the Northwoods League or not. I imagine if they had to rebuild, they'd do it somewhere else but it's a flat piece of ground with adequate parking. I'm not sure where else you could build a baseball park of any size in city limits. The Wade, bless its heart, is a place everyone wants to see once but few want to see 10 times a summer.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. micropolitan guy

We win, stay alive, semifinals on Saturday. Suicide squeeze in the 8th breaks a tie and a reliever who got walked off on Tuesday throws an 8-pitch 9th for the save.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Blue Jays sent Alek Manoah back to the minors again. He wasn't quite as bad as he had been early in the season, but he certainly wasn't good since he was recalled a month ago. The guy is just a mess.

Draft saved Draft deleted