1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

At a luncheon announcing his Cy Young Award, I asked him if he knew who Cy Young was. He smiled and said, "I don't know who he is, but if they named an award after him, he must have been good."

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Any restriction they had saying "You had to be in the HOF" to get your # retired had already been broken by retiring Gilliam's #.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

XP good to make it 21-3 Falcons over the Giants.
    Just how short is the leash on Buck?

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Cohen has said he wants Buck back (I'm pretty sure, at least). For all the things that went right for him last year (until September), more have gone badly this year. Personally, I'd bring Buck back, because players play.

BUT, it's pretty clear Cohen is going to hire David Stearns in the offseason to run baseball operations. So I'd imagine that decision might go to Stearns if it happens.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I don’t know that it was a hard and fast rule then or if it morphed into it.
    Valenzuela‘a number hadn’t been issued since he left in 1991, so it was unofficially retired any way.
    Team President Stan Kasten said if they retired all worthy numbers, they would have to issue triple digit uniforms. But that’s a bunch of bull. Garvey’s 6, Wills 30 and Hershiser’s 55 are the only others I can think of that would be considered.
    Kershaw will join the group and possibly Betts and Freeman if they continue on their current paces.
    The franchise did create a Legends of Dodgers Baseball recognition with the Hall of Very Good or other significant players such as Don Newcomb, Garvey, Wills, Hershiser, Valenzuela, Kirk Gibson and fan favorite player and coach Manny Mota.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I would think Carl Furillo has to be a Legend of Dodgers Baseball, even though he was a pariah to O'Malley because he had the audacity to publicly act when he was mistreated at the end of his career. Is Sutton's # retired?

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Yep. Sutton is in the Hall.
    Carl Erskine and some combination of Lopes, Cey and Russell should be considered. Probably Eric Karros, the franchise HR leader in LA, and Willie and Tommy Davis. Probably not Piazza.
    I’ve been fascinated that the Dodgers have been successful for most of the past 45 season without a Hall of Fame level non pitcher. Lots of good players or those with a couple great seasons but no longtime great hitters.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

In St. Louis, it will be interesting to see if Adam Wainwright’s 50 will be retired. He’s not a hall of famer, and I think all the team’s other retired numbers are of Hall guys. But he has meant so much to the team and the fans that I could see it happen.

Wainwright’s best chance at the Hall will be as an announcer because he’ll be great at that.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

In doing the Immaculate Grid today, I wondered, "Who did Cy Young play for?" I had to look it up. I'm about to post a trivia question.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

173-153
    131 CG
    30+ shutouts
    1-2-3-5 Cy Young

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Tampa Bay Rays ain't done yet.
    Guardians closer Emmanuel Clase, meanwhile, is 1-7 with eight blown saves.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, Guardians.

Draft saved Draft deleted