1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

In states that have state inspections, an odometer reading becomes part of the official record when you renew your registration each year.

sgreenwell and I Should Coco like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Guessing a lot of states won't be going for that.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What if you are a snowbird or live in one state, but work in another, at a site significantly far away the state line?

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think this is why most have settled on a fee when paying for the license plate. It’s not ideal, but it is enforceable.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That is interesting because I am familiar with one state northeast of me that has done away with inspections yet has instituted state fees for all-electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm now the owner of a Hyundai Ioniq 5 - zippy crossover! I'm upgrading from a 2007 Corolla, so this feels like a race car in comparison.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Congrats, one of the best looking cars on the road and hands-down the most visually pleasing car Korea has ever produced, IMO.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My new neighbor operates a mobile car detailing business out of his garage. He showed up with 2 brand-new Ioniqs, plus his girlfriend has a gumball green small Jeep. All are electric. One Ioniq is for him, another is for a co-worker. Others show up in pick-up trucks or SUVs to load up for a day of car washes on the road. When everybody is back here, there are extension cords running everywhere from the garage and the house to the vehicles. He is not overly noisy, doesn't work really early or late, so he is not bothering us at all. Nice guy.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

As someone who has owned 2 Corollas, a Chevy Prism and a Plymouth Reliant before this, it's by far the "coolest" car I've ever had, ha. It's very fun to drive so far.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

North Carolina has inspections, but no one ever said anything about my Lexus odometer reading 210,514 every year from 2011-2021 (it stopped working in 2007).

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Typically older cars are exempt from odometer readings. (Varies from state to state.) When you sold that car, a note was very likely made on the title along the lines of “actual mileage unknown.”

My point is that if a state wanted to tax electric cars by mileage, recording the odometer reading every state inspection year would be a viable way to do it. Kind of like an annual meter reading, if you will.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Congrats! Admittedly, I still am a polluter who likes the sound of an ICE too much and I wanted to avoid battery anxiety. My buddies love their EVs.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted