1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yikes. Where are you, generally, if you don't mind posting it?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a lot, but in general, I prefer to deal with rain/water than hot/dry/fires.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We're right at a month since the last measurable rainfall, and today was only the second day this month below 99 degrees. Burn bans are starting to pop up across the southern half of the state. I don't want a destructive hurricane, obviously, but a nice, slow-moving tropical storm that dumps five or six inches of rain over a couple of days would not be the worst thing right now.

three_bags_full likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Storms that form directly in the Gulf and affect the U.S. significantly are extremely rare. Most of the big ones are of Caribbean or Western Atlantic origin. A select few such as Gustav or Ike are quickly identified as a ton of trouble by their tracks.

The classic Cape Verde monsters seem to be going the way of the Studebaker as the climate warms.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

East Tennessee when I'm not in eastern North Carolina.

7. Driftwood

The scare this year is ocean surface temperature to feed a storm very quickly. El Nino is supposed to provide wind shear to bat them down this year, but the surface temps are so high, nobody is sure what to predict.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Right. A storm could form and grow incredibly quickly much closer to the U.S. mainland under these conditions, giving residents even less time to react and evacuate. Wind shear might lessen its life, but it could do a lot of damage before then.

9. Driftwood

If you have a vested interest in keeping tabs on hurricanes, I love the Hurricane Tracker app.
    When it gives me notifications, it's accompanied by the sound of blowing/howling wind. Pretty cool.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fundamentalist preachers and Fox News anchors about to pee their pants with delight.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted