1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The biggest concern is if it's slow moving, rivers and creeks will flood because they can't handle the runoff fast enough.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’ve been in San Diego when it rains. It reminded me of DC and how people freak out when it snows.

My brother lives out there. His backyard floods during a 20-minute shower. Not sure what the plan is to keep the flooding at bay during this one.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

When you're 10 hours out, it's time to secure anything on the property that could get picked up by the wind. Grab some ice and shove it in your freezer, or in a cooler, just in case you're without power for a little while after the storm. It's common on the east coast to fill up a bath tub with water so you've got a reserve, though that's more important for people on wells/septic, but we've had a couple of times where city water wasn't potable for a short time. Charge all devices and any external battery packs.

Beyond that, hunker down and prepare to stay indoors for a while. When I was younger, I'd drink my way through a storm. These days, I make sure I've got a couple of good books and worry more about the electronic devices so I can get a break from the kids demanding my attention the entire time. A tropical storm is really just like the most sustained thunderstorm you've ever experienced. Heavy rain and strong(ish) winds are relentless for somewhere between 4 and 12 hours. Hurricane strength doesn't really change the timeline, it just amps up the intensity.

TigerVols and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In a combined 28 years of living in Florida, the absolutely most perfect, freshest-feeling weather was 2 hours AFTER Wilma wreaked havoc in Broward County.

As if the storm sucked all the heat and humidity out of the area and took it with her.

Only thing that ruined it was having to look at the mess all around. Made cleanup more pleasant, though.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Driftwood

I'll second the filling up the tub if you remotely think you'll lose water.
    It won't be for drinking. It will be for filling the toilet tank after a big number 2. Pee outside.
    You're welcome.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The biggest problem is California—except for the extreme north—isn’t set up for large dumps of rain in short amount of times. There are going to be areas where the drainage systems will be tested. The deserts especially. I think LA proper will be ok but the further east you go, there’s going to be good amounts of flooding.

And I say all that not suggesting we’re going to see Mississippi River level of flood, but some roads won’t be drivable.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

This thing is moving at a good clip. It will be over Reno by this time tomorrow. That will cut down on the biblical rain some.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. Driftwood

That's the biggest storm issue in SE North Carolina. The rivers (Cape Fear basin and others) can't handle the runoff. Areas a hour or so inland are widely more devastated than the coast.

maumann likes this.
  9. Driftwood

I don't know if I posted this factoid or just thought about it and may be d_bing myself.

I read that the last event like this to hit California came in 1939. My father was born in late '39 and passed away earlier this year. That means in his 83-year lifetime, California didn't have a hurricane.
    That's probably not interesting trivia to anyone other than me, but it made me chuckle.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In Orange County, I first noticed the rain about 6 a.m. It has been raining off and on, but just rain, very little wind, no driving rain. That could come later. Weather.com says that at 3 p.m., there is a 100 percent chance of rain. No hedging there. I have not turned on the TV yet to check out "STORM WATCH 2023" on the local news.

Spartan Squad and maumann like this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Be safe but I’m sure The OC will be just fine. Honestly a little jealous it won’t come northwest far enough to give Nor Cal a little fun (and maybe a “snow day” tomorrow)

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The main street outside my tract has a flood control channel down the middle. It is rustic, looks more like a stream in the woods. Lots of ducks and other birds find their way there. About a mile away, there is a street called Barranca, which is right next to a ..... barranca. It is huge. The only time I've seen water in it last last winter when it seemed to rain every day for about a month and there still wasn't enough to have it flow. We are not going to have a flood where I live.

Neutral Corner and Spartan Squad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted