1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The day Tommy Pham is out of MLB, MLB will be the better for it. He is a bad dude.

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

It's only the third inning, and I'll say it right now -- Kyle Bradish is throwing the kind of slider today that you remember for a long time.

Seven Ks in the first nine hitters.

EDIT: Baltimore also has eight balls against JP Sears with exit velocities of 100+ mph. Mountcastle just hit one 437 feet for a 7-0 lead in the fourth. And the ninth-hardest ball so far was an inside-the-park homer for Jorge Mateo -- only 99.8 mph.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
    tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I’m often critical of the Mariners’ offense, but not this week. They just pounded out 15 hits to win 7-6 in Houston to sweep the Astros and win their sixth straight game.

Julio Rodriguez is particularly hot, with 17 hits over his past four games entering today.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

that'll have him getting Tommy John in 3 ... 2 ...

5. jr/shotglass

I know exactly what you mean (#kerrywood), and his slider in the first three innings resembled that.

You know, though, the Oakland A's are so bad that everyone should get a look at them sometime just for shits and giggles. That might be the most nondescript infield I've ever seen.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Can we dig up spnited for some parting words?

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

Gunnar Henderson's going for the cycle in the eighth, needing just a single. And like a good ballplayer, he doesn't stop at first on a double down the right-field line.

(I bet Tommy Pham would have stopped at first.)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Rob Manfred is a total boner of a commissioner but the Little League Classic is one thing they get right.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The NL has a distinct edge over the AL in Inter league play, yet it has only two teams worth a damn. Good living there. Nobody to challenge you. Phillies have been sleeping all night, but they don’t seem to care. They know they can coast to 84 wins and make the tournament. The Diamondbacks lost 27 of 36 recently, and they’re still in it.
    In the AL, where win totals are admittedly buoyed by the A’s and Royals, it’ll take 90 or 91 wins to get a wild card.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there's no reason to leave the park early to beat the traffic jam.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Pham is certifiably crazy, but we'd all be crazy too with his backstory. And he may not be in the wrong on this issue.

12. jr/shotglass

He still woulda stopped at first.

Draft saved Draft deleted