1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Easy, when your strikeouts are on pace to match or exceed your batting average. He only had 50 hits that are not home runs. He has more walks than hits. And he has 94 walks...

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Those Cubs like those Royals were built to win multiple rings. Sad neither did.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, forgot them. Arizona??

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That's an excellent, reasoned read.

I might be crazy, but I think the Angels have a real shot to keep him even if/when they don't come close to making the playoffs this year. There is a real belief he doesn't want to play in New York. I can't see Seattle ponying up for him, though maybe if he really wants to go there that badly he'll "settle" for half a billion. So if it comes down to the LA teams, why not just stay where you are?

MileHigh likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I hope the guy goes for what makes him happy instead of chasing the big contract. He's going to get paid enough that it won't make a functional difference either way.

Ohtani is such a stud that it's hard to find a comparison. When you smoke Babe Ruth, well, that gets hard.

maumann likes this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

The Royals were never going to win multiple rings. *wanking motion* They were too poor to keep that team together. Even without that, though, that team aged together and gelled at just the right time. Even after the core broke up, no one went on to win a title anywhere else. (I think the only players on the '15 team to win it all again anywhere were Ben Zobrist, a trade deadline acquisition in '15, and pinch-runner extraordinaire Terrence Gore)

The Cubs not STILL perennially contending for titles with that core--and the next generation of homegrown players--is an unforgivable sin against baseball nature and a giant failure by ownership as well as the front office.

Liut and maumann like this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

The Yankees have lost nine straight for the first time since 1982. There are two generations of people who have never seen this.

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Agreed, to a point. The Cubs made the NLCS in multiple years, and then, as Theo said, the offense "broke." Rizzo, Bryant and Baez were susceptible to high heat in an era when that was the out pitch before the sweeper (and Baez obviously also couldn't handle that). Trading all three in '21 was the right decision. Look at them now. Cubs have had to rebuild, now have a consensus top-5 farm system just two years later and are now contending for playoffs a year ahead of schedule. I don't know that they'll make it, but they had a window in 2015-20, went for it, made history, and now are trying to remake themselves. Baseball happens.

Liut likes this.
  12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I'll add that the Cubs' biggest sin of that era was not properly drafting and developing starting pitching.

But they won it all in 2016. The Cubs did. The World Series.

The Cubs.

The. World. Series.

The Cubs.

Liut and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted