1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Like a lot of Chris Christie's principles, and think he'd be the best choice among those on that stage at this point.

Loved Nikki Haley's defense of the U.S. help for Ukraine.

Tim Scott actually was the only composed, professional, sane-sounding candidate on the stage most of the time.

Have read and learned a lot about DeSantis, but this was the first time I'd actually heard his voice. I didn't like it -- I don't know why but it just got on my nerves.

Pence just sounded like a retread.

Was really glad that Trump was not there. Can you imagine how it would've gone if he had been?

I don't know if I'd vote for any of them, but am not thrilled with Biden as the Democratic candidate, either. Wish he'd step aside and make way for Gavin Newsom.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I think a Newsom candidacy would be a problem for the Democrats as long as Harris is around. If Biden dropped out or died, Harris would be the logical candidate. The problem is, I don’t think a Black woman can win the top spot yet. Because racism, etc.

BUT, if Newsom somehow supplanted Harris, I can see a significant portion of the Democrats think she got screwed out of the nomination and stay home on Election Day.

In either scenario, I don’t think the Democrats win.

Biden is the guy this cycle, and the next three years will sort out the field.

3. WriteThinking

I know. I just think he's too damned old. And it's starting to show, a little too often and a little too obviously. I'll admit, it's starting to concern me. (And, for the record, I think Trump is too old now, too).

We have got to put age parameters on running for President -- not just a minimum age, but a maximum one, as well, -- at least upon the start of an election cycle. My suggested outside limit would be 70.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

/christie
    //principles
    [​IMG]

sane-sounding : sane
    looking like a million bucks : being a millionaire
    No one knows what specific component of Malört they find off-putting, either, but they ain't wrong
    Dude, he was bad but there is no need to...ohhh...retread
    *sigh* Only if...
    -FOX, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC
    [​IMG]

/approves

5. WriteThinking

Nope, not sure of anything. Just giving my immediate impressions of tonight. I haven't been following any of them that closely. But I'd bet if Trump had ever sounded and acted like Tim Scott -- composed, professional, Presidential, and yes, sane -- he'd probably have won the 2020 election outright.

As it is, I'm dreading this election. I don't like any of the options, and was just glad to see them without Trump around, because I cannot understand, at all, why Trump is even an option, let alone a leading candidate, among any Republicans. I'm not a Republican, and, especially if Trump is the nominee, I will not be voting that way, anyway.

While I think Biden's done his job -- a good job -- in this first term, I'm not sure he should be going through a second term, and I'm not happy to have him as the only choice on the Democratic side. Did I say I'm dreading this election?

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I thought Haley was the only one of them who sounded like she might be capable of handling the Oval office. Her biggest problem is that she won't be able to get past the primary. I don't like her much, but compared to that bunch of losers she looked decent.

DeSantis seemed like he was yelling all the time. I don't know if that's supposed to show macho aggression, strength, or what. I also found it interesting that no one attacked him. He was theoretically the front runner present, but no one even bothered to take a shot at him. Everyone was busy smacking Vivek around instead. He seemed to grate on all of the candidate's nerves.

Tim Scott seems to be a good politician, competent enough in a minority Republican kind of way. He largely disappeared onstage though.

No one will be talking about this debate beyond tomorrow morning. That might be a good thing for them, because there really wasn't anything memorable about this night of political blather.

I think it was Nicole Wallace who pointed out that every single candidate on that stage embraced the GOP position on human induced global warming (does not exist, drill baby drill) and abortion. This is a losing position widely in the electorate, especially the independents they'd *have* to reach to get elected. Among younger voters these are going to drive voting against the GOP.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I'm voting for Victor Shi.

garrow likes this.
  9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Haley's been setting herself up for vice president the whole time. She keeps this up and she'll get that spot on the ticket.

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

wouldn't have watched it under any set of circumstances. They are beneath my attention.

HanSenSE and TowelWaver like this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My money's on Kristi Noem. Nikki Haley has been disloyal. Trump will opt for the hot idiot.

wicked and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The debates will continue until morale improves.

Draft saved Draft deleted