1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What’s the downside here for the Cowboys? I don’t get the criticism for them in this deal.

da man likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

(Whispers)

The Cowboys have been competently run for a few years now.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's played so little, I don't even think you can call Lance a bust. Best case scenario for the Cowboys, there are some minor injuries and Lance gets some action and lights it up - maybe get back a second round pick for a team that misses out on Williams and Maye and needs a QB to sell to the fan base.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Why wouldn’t Baltimore trade for Lance? You have a running QB who could easily go down for a game or two and your current backup sucks… I mean, isn’t Lance’s skill set close of Jackson’s?

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They gave up a fourth-round pick for a guy who probably will never play enough to justify the trade. You just gave a guy who plays his position a huge extension, and you took away potential cap space. And if you exercise his fifth-year option, it's an obscene number for a backup, especially combined with the money you already had tied up in the position.

Unless they have some long-term plan to make him your starter, why give up draft capital and cap space for a spot you don't need?

Spartan Squad and sgreenwell like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nobody really knows if Lance can play at all. But if he can, he becomes a very valuable asset, whether you keep him or not. If he can't, you're only out a fourth-rounder. It's a value bet.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You guys are insane. None of you have ever seen Lance do anything successful on an NFL field. Because he's never done anything successful. His only success was at the FCS level four years ago. He can't stay on the field. The best ability is availability, and this dude cannot stay on the field. He is slow and unathletic on the football field. There is no reason for him to take some of the sacks he did against Vegas this preseason.

The niners moved on when it was clear he isn't better than Sam "Seeing Ghosts" Darnold. The mere fact that the niners signed Darnold means that Lance showed nothing on the practice field these past couple years.

He's a Bust, with a capital B. Lynch should get GM of the year for dumping his guaranteed salary and getting a pick for him. Stop projecting success for this guy because none of you have ever seen success with him playing big boy football. All you've seen is the niners make a huge mistake by trading up for him, and you assume that he must be a good qb. He's not.

Liut and sgreenwell like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

He may stink, I sure don't know. But if there's even a 1 in 3 chance Lance doesn't stink, the Cowboys made a value bet.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He should get GM of the year for turning 3 firsts and a third into a fourth? Glad we’re not resorting to hyperbole or anything.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If the trade up happened in 2023, I wouldn't have been advocating it.

He fucked up a couple years ago. He cleaned it up this week.

11. Michael_ Gee

Lynch deserves credit for not succumbing to the sunk cost fallacy. It's the 49ers' opinion Lance can't cut it. They did the right thing acting on that belief even if it turns out Lance can cut it and turns into a serviceable QB for the Cowboys or some other team. It's like when the Eagles dumped Wentz. They were willing to eat the losses.

Hermes and sgreenwell like this.
  12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I agree. But I think there is a ceiling to how far the Cowboys can rise. Right now I think they are the second best team in the division. But if they start to approach the next level and start winning playoff games I think Jerry Jones insatiable need for attention will trip them up.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    sgreenwell and Hermes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted