1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild night for Alabama preps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2023.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Remember when it was just the players getting injured? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

https://1819news.com/news/item/watc...y-involved-parents-after-two-player-ejections

At least nobody was packing, unlike in Hueytown.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/08/tee...ained-by-police-as-players-drop-to-field.html

And just to mess up the narrative about “those people” here come the suburbs above Huntsville.

https://whnt.com/news/madison/spark...all-game-suspended-after-disruption-on-field/

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

WTF is wrong with people? I was going to say it’s the parents who ruin it, but a 16-year old had a gun. Jesus. It’s a HS football game.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The hardest I’ve seen parents go was after a girls soccer game.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Shots fired in Oklahoma:

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Pell City HS hired Rush Probst to coach their football team, starting this season. In preparation for their game with Moody HS, he had his team spend Thursday night before the Friday game in a hotel to minimize distractions. How does spending Thursday night before a Friday school day isolate them from distractions when they have to go to school on Friday to be eligible to play, you might ask? Well, he also prevailed on the school to cancel classes on Friday, to turn it into an e-learning day so that the high school football players wouldn't be distracted by going to high school.

This was legal, but it probably shouldn't be. As the jumbotron asked after the game, "Was the hotel worth the L?". Pell City lost a wild game 28-24. Probst caught everyone by surprise by revealing a triple option offense, and it nearly worked.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports...wild-one-in-rush-propsts-pell-city-debut.html

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

What a great use of public school money, catering to the football team. Hotel, meals, snacks, some sort of entertainment...how much did that shit cost?

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

When I was in high school in the early 90s we had a game against Gary Roosevelt that got cancelled because there was a drive-by shooting at the game the week before. Shortly after that all the Gary schools home games were held on Saturday mornings. I think that lasted a good while.

Friday Night Football has always had a certain element of crazy lurking. Or to put it another way: These aren't entirely new phenomena.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And in more routine football mayhem news, Santa Cruz-Harbor game for The Shell called at halltime, with Harbor up 48-0 on its crosstown rival, after fight that started after a late hit out of bounds saw two assistant coaches ejected.

(Edits to add, change links)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems to be a carryover from prep hoops season. My goodness - just ban spectators. Let the kids play.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

All of this crap has escalated since a certain person gained influence and landed in the White House.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That's the truth. By the time I got to high school in 1987, my podunk town with a perfectly mediocre football program had already moved all the games to Saturday afternoon because too much shit was happening on Friday night. Teenagers getting drunk and fighting, teenagers terrorizing the senior citizens in their folding chairs, rumbles with the punks one town over, fights and what not at pizzerias after the game, etc. They were playing night games by the time my nephew got there in 2016 or so, but that was a fairly new development, per my sister.

Draft saved Draft deleted