1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Angels GM says Shohei Ohtani declined team’s offer for testing prior to UCL tear
    [​IMG]
    By Sam Blum and The Athletic Staff
    15m ago

Los Angeles Angels superstar Shohei Ohtani and his camp declined testing on his arm prior to the imaging that revealed he has a torn UCL, general manager Perry Minasian said Saturday in New York. Here’s what you need to know:

• Ohtani will not pitch the rest of the season after the injury was revealed earlier this week. Minasian said at the time it is unclear whether Ohtani will require surgery.
    • The 29-year-old exited his last start Wednesday against the Cincinnati Reds after 1 1/3 innings with arm fatigue, skipping his previous start due to the same issue.
    • Ohtani returned to the Angels’ lineup as a designated hitter Friday. The pending free agent leads MLB with 44 home runs.
    The Athletic’s instant analysis:

What to make of Minasian’s comments
    This feels like a clean-up by the Angels front office. Minasian has done two previous press availabilities since Ohtani’s injury and was asked about this topic but did not make this clear. He stated directly Friday that no imaging was done, and there was public blowback to that.

ADVERTISEMENT

In fairness to Minasian and Los Angeles, if Ohtani wanted an MRI after his previous start, he would have gotten one. He has robust representation. That said, it’s also fair to criticize the team for not insisting he get checked given his fatigue. It would be great to hear directly from Ohtani or his agent on this topic, but they’ve been silent. — Blum

Could placing blame on Ohtani impact free-agency talks?
    Another hugely relevant question here: Did Ohtani or his agent know Minasian would be saying this today? If not, it could be a topic of contention. They’re shifting the blame for not being thorough directly onto them, and away from the team.

And for an Angels team that would desperately like to re-sign the superstar, this could, in theory impact the relationship. Minasian said he has a great relationship with Ohtani and his agent Nez Balelo. But again, this entire situation has clearly grown into something that could create an issue. — Blum

Should Ohtani have gotten earlier imaging?
    Without any medical expertise, it does feel pretty clear that Ohtani should have gotten imaging before taking the mound Wednesday. The team believes it would have been impossible for him to pitch 1 1/3 innings with a torn UCL, meaning the tear happened while pitching.

But Ohtani’s workload and fatigue meant he should have gotten looked at ahead of time. Whoever’s fault that is, who knows? But it should have happened. — Blum

Backstory
    The Angels, who have gone 6-16 in August, went all-in around Ohtani at the trade deadline. His ERA sits at 3.14 through 132 innings this year and he is slashing .305/.408/.665.

Ohtani previously underwent Tommy John surgery in October 2018.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

As I said, if this is true.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

All this going on, and Ohtani starts tonight 2-for-2 with two stolen bases. The guy's pretty remarkable.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Watching the Phillies pummel the Cards now makes me realize how pathetic the SF lineup is right now. It’s varsity v JV. Zaidi needs to answer for this lineup. Even guys out injured is a reflection of his decision making.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    HanSenSE and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. jr/shotglass

Yennier Cano with a 1-2-3 ninth.

Same as it ever was.

Same as it ever was.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When you thought you'd seen everything ....

Angels catcher back-picks a runner off first. Runner heads for second while runner on second heads for third. First baseman throws to third and hits his own pitcher in the face. Chase Silseth goes down like a shot and doesn't move.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Brutal. It’s hard to tell where the throw hit him — video here looks like it was in the back of the head, but the closeup shows him holding his forehead. He actually went seven more steps toward third base after he was hit, but he stayed down a scary long time.

Angels rookie Chase Silseth exits game after collapsing from throw to head

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Watching them against the Braves today was a stark difference. Yes the Braves are head and shoulders above everyone except one or two teams, but just seeing what they do was a realization of what we don’t have. They have pitching. Fried vs yet another opener for a guy who was supposed to be a starter but can’t go much more than 3 innings. Getting a sac fly. Getting a base got with a guy on third. Production up and down the line up. Giants had rallies die with guys in scoring position. They just can’t get it done.

In the off-season the Giants signed
    Michael Conforto who has been meh. Not bad, not great and is now on the IL

Mitch Haniger who is constantly hurt and—surprise—he’s hurt.

Sean Manaea who is supposed to be a starter but see above.

Ross Stripling. See also Sean Manaea. Is also hurt.

Joc Peterson (re-signed). Is not great but not the problem.

Taylor Rogers probably the best signings.

Luke Jackson. Who?

And the less said about the trades the better.

Also the highly touted young guys have collectively shit the bed when the league got tape on them. There are how many coaches and none of them can teach these guys how to make an adjustment?

But they’re going to extend Farhan when really he should be fired the second they fall out of playoff contention.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

All the things, man.

I'm in Brooklyn to help my daughter move back in to her place for college. She wanted to see all her friends last night, so I looked up and saw, "Oh hell, Ohtani's in town."

Got a $25 ticket in the second deck between home and third, went by myself (two train transfers; seamless)...and Ohtani's everything I hoped, and so much more. It looks effortless for him. In the box. On the bases. On deck. Just a pure, pure star and the game is easy for him.

And he was just the DH.

I'm so glad I went. The Silseth moment was eerie, and he had been pitching well. He had to be gingerly helped down the dugout steps, a guy on each side of him. Scary look on his face.

Mets fans stood and cheered for Ohtani often, and boos rang out in the 9th when he was IBB'd. ("Fuck you, Buck," from one loyal in Section 328.) A lot of kids and Asian-descent fans around. Helluva audition for Ohtani for Cohen and just an awesome atmosphere. Ohtani is a Baseball Moment for those who care.

Enjoyed the hell out of myself, game was done around 10 (the clock is perfect; there's always a next pitch coming immediately) and was back from Citi Field to Brooklyn Airbnb before midnight. I almost went again this afternoon, but the kid and are going into the city and seeing "Shucked" after getting cheap tickets.

My wife texted me this morning, "Enjoy your mini vacation."

I am dear, I am. In my favorite little Crown Heights pub now for lunch.

11. jr/shotglass

I thought I'd just had my perfect afternoon at a winery with a lobster food truck, but ...

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If there's one game that encapsulates what a waste the past eight years have been for the Detroit Tigers -- and perhaps an unknown number still to come -- is watching Justin Verlander and the Astros putting up two touchdowns against a still mediocre Bengal lineup this afternoon in Motown. The Tigers got two hits and no runs in five easy innings against the guy who should go into the Hall of Fame with the Old English D on his cap.

Draft saved Draft deleted