1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Whitless in interview with RFK Jr. says he is the best sportswriter of the last 30 years. Im dying…

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

He was real good. Occasionally, one of the best. Unquestionably never the best, at any time.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If you're a journalism student watching that clip in some dystopian future, know that a "question" shouldn't last 1 minute 54 seconds.

Also, as has been said, Jason Whitlock wasn't even the best sportswriter at his own paper. Back when he was still writing, not blogging, he was a glib race contrarian who did almost no reporting.

Also also, Jason Whitlock needs a mental health intervention.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    Liut, swingline, SixToe and 1 other person like this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This is one thing that irks me, among many, with "talk radio" and "talk shows," as well as with some writers.

ASK THE DAMNED QUESTION and shut up. Don't give your take, your reasoning, your setup, why you think this or that, and then say something akin to, "Right?" or "Do you agree?"

Liut, Slacker and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

It's all about me, me, me and my lack of attention span!

I really miss the Charlie Rose Show.

SixToe and Slacker like this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have long been an advocate that anyone who is going to make a living interviewing people should take Interviewing 101. The curriculum would be listening to old tapes of Bob Edwards from NPR. The shorter the question the better.

SFIND, Liut, Dog8Cats and 2 others like this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Charlie Rose got exposed for the dog he is. Hard pass on that fucker.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Shorter questions = less opportunity for the interviewee to offer up some nonsense two-minute answer. Or if it is a two-minute answer, you let them hang themselves with a long rope.

Liut likes this.
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

To each his own. His PBS program was appointment viewing when I wasn't working.

12. AD

AD Active Member

Charlie Rose's guests and format made the show great. Him? Not so much. And when he had sports figures on, he was the worst: Coach K, and so many others. Each time, he devolved from serious interviewer, well informed, to drooly fanboy. It was embarrassing.

justgladtobehere and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted