1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-heroes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Aug 26, 2023.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Thanks to @DanOregon and @OscarMadison on the Whitlock thread for inspiring this. Who did you once admire that you now loathe?

I’ll start: I was a big, BIG Ted Nugent fan back in the day. Now I don’t care if he never plays another note.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I went a different direction, but OK. I guess Dennis Miller's conservatism bugs me. He came off as a smart-ass "They're all clowns" kind of guy, but then became a Bush fanboi after 9/11. Really kind of ruined his whole vibe.
    I really have no problem with him being a Bushie,or his politics but when he started to pull his punches when it came to Bush - yeah it kind of killed his comedic No holds barred rep.

It was like Sam Kinison doing a set about how much he loved his wife.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

There’s probably room for both discussions — athletes and general celebrities/people whose albums or posters or books you had. But I also wouldn’t be at all bothered if this was merged into your thread or deleted.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Ice Cube.

I am ashamed I ever respected him.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Don Henley. Love his voice, love his work, but God what a colossal, uptight prick.

A colossal, uptight prick who has no need to be one at all.

BurnsWhenIPee and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Eric Clapton

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm not going to say he was a hero, but I think Bill Cosby will show up on a lot of lists.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don't think "anti-hero" and "villain" are synonyms.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bobby Knight. Man I loved watching those Indiana teams play. What a total a-hole of a person.

Deskgrunt50 and OscarMadison like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've had this discussion regarding cancel culture - but I do think the word AND was created for a reason. Michael Jackson was a tremendous musical artist AND a violator of children.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think “anti-hero” is more of a storytelling convention than anything.

Jack Bauer. Vic Mackey. William Munny. Etc.

Tighthead likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't get hung up on musicians' political views. I guess it's because I don't put them on pedestals. I either like the music or not. I may not listen to or read interviews with them, but I can separate the song from the artist.
    I was riding with my cousin one day, and either Springsteen or Mellencamp (don't remember), and he changed the channel saying something about not listening to the song because of their political views. I said that was idiotic. If that was the case, I wouldn't listen to Charlie Daniels or Ted Nugent from the '70s, but just because the guy is crazy doesn't mean the music isn't good.

Draft saved Draft deleted