1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-heroes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Aug 26, 2023.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m not particularly bothered by political views, but guys like Kid Rock and Jason Aldean go out of their way to be assholes about it. I’m protesting that more than anything they may believe politically.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

MY MAN

Dog8Cats likes this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The local high school plays "Glory Days" after a win. Might as well play "Cats in the Cradle" at a baby shower.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Forunate Son": The official song of the Vietnam War.

X-Hack and Driftwood like this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Rockin’ In the Free World has to make the podium. I think Rush Limbaugh tried to use it as a closing song at one point.

Ha - it just came on the radio.

Troy Aikman has a beer company now and for its Memorial Day Instagram message it played Fortunate Son.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Rush nailed it in retrospect with "My City Was Gone" by the Pretenders. Ohio is fucking gone and Florida is blowing its doors in progress.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I have a special love for Fortunate Son. I know what the actual song is about, and I obviously wasn't in Nam, but I have an intimate connection with military helicopters.
    But if there is another song that can fire me up and make me fist pump in about three notes, I can't think of it.

Liut likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If you actually listen to the words, "Glory Days" is depressing as hell.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I distinctly remember this, too.

Just before he died was when the "all 80s" radio format really took off, and the songs from "Thriller" and "Bad" were conspicuously absent despite being huge hits. Then Michael Jackson died, and all of a sudden is was OK to play "P.Y.T." again ...

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Kid Rock for all the reasons already mentioned.

and it’s not that he’s a conservative. It’s that he glorifies ignorance when he clearly knows better. He’s no idiot.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That applies to a lot of Springsteen's catalogue. The man pairs catchy tunes and pairs them with lyrics so dark they'll make you want to blow your brains out like nobody else.

Draft saved Draft deleted