1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-heroes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Aug 26, 2023.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Curious if this will happen for Cosby after he dies. Will The Cosby Show be back on TVLand?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I doubt it. I can hear "Wanna Be Starting Something" without giving much thought to the guy who created it. With "The Cosby Show" I'm looking at him, nd listening to his character talk about his magic barbecue sauce that drugs women so you can take advantage of them.

wicked likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

My two chief people I've given up on are Morrissey and Ryan Adams. Was a big fan of both and they are both just complete shitbirds.

This is actually a thing I've given a lot of thought to, in terms of where you draw the line between artist and art. Ultimately, I've concluded that there are no answers here, and if the art of a shitty person still appeals to you then enjoy it. I can no longer listen to Morrissey's solo work or anything by Ryan Adams (and I have like 13 of that fucker's records on vinyl). On the other hand, I can still enjoy Van Morrison's old work, and he's become a giant asshole. I haven't watched a Woody Allen movie in decades but I suspect I would still love "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan." (Although much of "Manhattan" is probably pretty uncomfortable now.)

I would think it would be tough for a fan to still listen to R Kelly, given that much of his catalog is about his desire to have sex with underage girls.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bill Cosby’s most famous role was as the role model father and husband. For years, even before the Cosby Show, he portrayed himself as some sort of moral arbiter so that the lines between Cliff Huxtable and Bill Cosby were blurred. You believed in him and the world he created and I simply can’t watch the show now without thinking about the allegations and how everything on screen was a lie.

I can listen to the music of Michael Jackson without thinking of the allegations against him. Just like I can listen to the music of many people whose politics I abhor — I won’t give them my money in concert but I can enjoy the songs.

wicked likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I thought he was dead.

Liut likes this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Gotta a smoke?

Huggy likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I still can't fully remove some old Cosby jokes from my head. Some of them still make me smile, but I wouldn't want to watch the show or any of his standup again.

That said, I think we can move past accusations. We know what he did. Cosby is a serial rapist. Let's call him what he is.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

i think it was very much understood at the time that "Fortunate Son" was being sung by draftees pissed off at the rich fuckers who had sent them off to war.
    Fuck, I was like 12 when it came out and **I** understood that's what it was about.
    Creedence wss not perceived in any way at the time as being "pro-Vietnam War." I don't think there was any major artist that was.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We watched The Cosby Show because that's what you did at the time. But for the most part, that show sucked.

10. PCLoadLetter

Nah, this is unfair.

There are a lot of hit shows of the era that flat-out sucked. Cosby wasn't one of them, at least at the beginning of the run. It was genuinely smart and funny. There were episodes that stand up among the best sitcom episodes ever -- the Gordon Gartrelle shirt, the "you haven't EATEN YET" episode -- but it did tire out over the years as family members came and went.

Guy_Incognito and Webster like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well no shit. The lyrics aren't exactly subtle.
    The point of that bit was how "Fortunate Son" has been used in every Vietnam movie for the last 40+ years.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

There isn’t a current criminal conviction, which is why I used the phrase. I’m quite sure he is a sexual predator, but once a lawyer . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted