1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Onions!

UPChip, HanSenSE, Vombatus and 2 others like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Beat me by that much.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Funny. I remember Vidalia before there were Vidalia onions. My great uncle lived in Lyons, the next little town over from there. I don't think the sweet onion hybrid really existed before the 80's. They were being marketed by the mid 80s iirc.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Na na na, gonna have a good time …

IMG_4742.jpeg

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There's no good place for a Category 3 hurricane to hit, but the Big Bend area might be the least populated coastal spot in Florida. However, there are bunch of not wealthy towns comprised mainly of mobile homes and RV parks, which could be pretty bad for places like Cross City, Old Town, Trenton, Chiefland and Bronson. My niece teaches band at Chiefland High School. I wouldn't want to be there Wednesday morning.

Even though those towns aren't directly on the Gulf, the possibility of widespread flooding -- especially the entire Suwannee River basin -- concerns me greatly. Right now, the storm looks to be fast-moving. But the amount of water that area can take could be compromised quickly by tidal surge and rainfall.

Prayers to all in that area of Florida.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    Liut and Driftwood like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Depends on whether the high tide and the storm surge hit at the same time. I really hope this does not go as badly as I fear it will.

8. Driftwood

One report I saw said it could still have hurricane status by the time it reaches Georgia.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Probably a Cat 1 in Brunswick, Ga. In 2005 Wilma came ashore on the Gulf Coast as a Cat 3 and still was a Cat 2 when it left Fort Lauderdale.

Because it was zooming along at 25 mph.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Early track is pushing further north before the big eastern turn.

12. Driftwood

We went from pretty calm up until now to all heck breaking loose. Frank hit Cat 4. Idalia is going to do something bad. TD 11 has formed in the middle of the Atlantic, and there is another wave coming off Africa now that has the chance to develop in the next 48 hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted