1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My college roommate in the late '70s was a fourth-generation Cracker from the southwest Dade County boonies. His grandchildren (God help us if he procreated) would be sixths.

That's like being related to one of Ponce de Leon's soldiers.

garrow, 2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Earlier this year I was visiting some folks down around Chiefland, at their place on the Suwanee. I asked about the history because of some older photos they had. They had baskets of arrowheads and points lying around as decorations, and arrowheads epoxied into the tiles in the bathroom showers. The g-g-g-g-something grands were original settlers in the area back in the 1700s or early 1800s.

My next question was WTF they chose that mosquito- hog- swamp- snake-infested area as their stopping point. Maybe they got tired of battling through west-central Florida and just gave up.

maumann likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When I worked in south central Pennsylvania, my editor (during the 11 days we were on good terms) was telling me about research that a sociologist had done on the original settlers in the region and determined many of them were too stupid/lazy/afraid/disinterested in crossing over the Allegheny Mountains and continuing west.

maumann likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Weather Channel has gone full blown infomerial for Generac.

7. Driftwood

At least now the Generac ad is clearly a paid advertisement. The "story" right before they went to break was shameless crap.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That “Rosewood” in the upper right corner is indeed the Rosewood of infamy front the 1921 ethnic cleansing massacre. And it is a good 10 miles from Cedar Key. Notice how the water goes well past even that point.

Poor Levy County may be scrubbed clean off the map.

maumann likes this.
  9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Perry, Fla., is the last place I heard the N-word in polite company. I was drinking beer on a pontoon boat with my ex-wife.

It is also a town that literally stinks like shit. Pulp industry. "Smell of money," the locals call it.

maumann likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like the company was that polite.

11. Driftwood

Nothing to do with this hurricane, but a crazy weather event. I was woken up at 2:30 this morning to some of the hardest rain I've ever heard outside of a storm. No lighting, thunder, or wind... just insane rain. I checked my rain gauge before going to work, and it rained 1.3 inches overnight.
    I got to work and hit up a buddy, "Dude! What about that rain last night. That was nuts." He lives less than two miles from me as the crow flies and had no idea what I was talking about. He said it didn't rain a drop at his house. He even called up a time lapse of his security cameras, and nothing.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

CNN reporter: As Mike Tyson said, Everyone has a plan until they're punched in the mouth.

Floridian: Or bitten on the ear.

CNN anchor: <cackles>

Draft saved Draft deleted