1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Apr 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Just saw Cantori reporting from wherever, which led into a Claritin commercial which started with music .... "It's the most wonderful time of the year: .....

Liut, garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is Cedar Key - home to Travis McGee - ground zero?

Driftwood likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Keaton Beach, two counties to the northwest. But all of the Big Bend will take a lashing, and Cedar Key is on the dirty side.

Great scalloping area. I may have eaten my last one for a while.

swingline likes this.
  4. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

I suspect many of the good folks in Valdosta probably don't pay much attention to hurricane preparation.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It’s not unheard of. More like tornadoes and flash floods to worry about there. But it is part of the Tallahassee TV market so there’s been saturation coverage no doubt.

Liut likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Jimmy Buffett put Travis McGee in Cedar Key, a twist of poetic license in his "Incommunicado" lyrics. Because it rhymes.

But actually, in McDonald's novels, McGee lived on his 52-foot houseboat, the Busted Flush, in Slip F-18 at Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

MacDonald purposely put McGee on the opposite coast so people wouldn't show up at his place in Siesta Key.
    You can go see a plaque dedicated to the Busted Flush at Bahia Mar, but it's not really where the slip was.

Inky_Wretch and Slacker like this.
  8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I’ve heard from friends in St. Pete, Brooksville, Davenport and Lake City. St. Pete people are reporting some flooding and power outages. So far everyone else still has power and cell service. Davenport person (sort of west of Orlando area) said the rain is the worst part there. Brooksville people are pretty close to the gulf and don’t even have any tree branches down. I’ve been worried about the friend in Lake City since she was pretty much in the hurricane path as it crossed the state and lives in a less than sturdy house surrounded by large trees. I think she’s made it through with no house damage but has a lot of trees down. I’ve offered to come up and help with cleanup, also suggesting not giving me a chainsaw is a wise safety decision.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Buffett got me to read every single one of the McGee books. And I’m glad he did.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Me, too. That's exactly why I started reading them in the first place. I own and have read all of them, and will read them all again.
    I was actually playing with Chat GPT this weekend and told it to write a short story in the style of a Travis McGee novel set in NC with me as the main character. I had a blast. My wife said I need help.

garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Excellent. If you can get insurance, that’s obviously great and superior.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Got an invest that just popped near the Cape Verde Islands. It will become either Jose or Katia, the next two names up. The TD that will likely become Jose looks fishy.

Draft saved Draft deleted