1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My older brother, who campaigned for George McGovern, became a Republican in his 40s and when I asked him why he said "I have money now.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The doc I worked for had a sign framed on his wall. It read "They're not taxes. It's my money and they're trying to steal it."

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

wicked and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

People bitching about taxes being theft or any version of that probably gets under my skin more than anything. I tell everyone, including my wife, to just shut up about it. I'd like to keep all my money, too, but if they can find me a functioning society anywhere in history where a government didn't tax its citizens, I'll listen. Otherwise, they are just shouting at clouds and have to end up paying them anyway.
    This country was founded by a bunch of rich people who didn't want to pay taxes.

SFIND, wicked, Spartan Squad and 10 others like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Oh, he paid plenty. He was a GP, so low paid by doctor standards, but still made good money. His wife was a pediatrician, same deal there. With their combined income, well... they weren't missing any meals, put it that way.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Amazing they could afford a meal, what with them not excepting any Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security patients.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every time I see a libertarian posting "Taxation is theft" I ask them how a society pays for common good items without taxes. They never have an answer.

"Back the blue?" Not without taxes you don't. "Support the troops?" That requires taxation. Want a highway system so you don't need a 4x4 to get to the game on Saturday? Taxes!

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Aren't these the same clowns with the Freedom Isn't Free bumperstickers? Of course, they'd rather have some poor schmuck "pay" for it with their life, than actually give the soldier a better paycheck and benefits.

SFIND, OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

That's not accurate. We took both Medicare and Medicaid. I don't know of a Social Security medical policy.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think the argument was that many patients drew significant SS income and therefore were more in a position to afford the practice's offerings.

TigerVols likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Or just provide proper medical care after coming home from a war. The politicians are quick to send soldiers, but don’t want to find the VA and mental health that they will need.

Draft saved Draft deleted