1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree with her though. Its weird seeing our national leadership decompose in front of our eyes.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Yeah, fuck them penguins.

Wait. What?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Mus as I despise McConnell, that video is painful to watch. Probably my biggest fear as I age toward elderly status is losing my mental faculties.

wicked likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

About the only evidence would come from a staffer or adviser who dealt with him changing policy positions in a matter of minutes or forgetting something he was just told. And that would be kept under wraps.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Me too. Yikes.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is difficult to watch, and to see take place in a public setting. Furthermore, he and his condition -- whatever it is -- should not be given a chance to be a point of contention or spectacle, the way Biden's slips have been made out to be on tasteless, decency-lacking Fox News. It is not McConnell's fault. It is a facet of growing older, weaker, and perhaps, not recovering as well as he might have if he were younger. I believe he's having a medical problem -- physical difficulties prompted/exacerbated by the fall he took earlier this year.

I don't know if that's the case; it's just what I think. I also think elder health and care is yet another thing that people should be sensitive to and concerned about; no one should be partisan about it, or seeking to politicize it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

With all due respect, the guy is one of the five most powerful people in the country, making decisions that will impact hundreds of millions. We have every right to question his competency, especially when it's becoming increasingly clear that the lights are on but he's not always at home, and do so publicly.

9. WriteThinking

Well, I agree with you, in a way -- that's why I think there needs to be action on instituting upper age limits on these government positions. I just don't think it should be made into a spectacle, and everyone needs to remember their humanity.

Now, that would require some decency, sensitivity and empathy on the part of those who would try to politicize and divide over a vulnerable person's condition, but I think a balanced, non-politicized discussion can be had. And it should be.

TowelWaver likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It would also require the people directly affected by such a law to neuter their own future power, so that's a non-starter.

TowelWaver, Liut and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Term limits. Two for the Senate, six for the house, then back home to Hooterville.

12. WriteThinking

At some point, we're going to have to realize that, God willing, we are all going to get old -- too old for certain things. Time stops for no one, and all that...

You'd think, and I would hope, that that would make this a non-partisan issue.

With the population continuing to age, and with medical advancements and easier living extending life spans, such issues as this are genuine, legitimate concerns.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted