1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

i liked Season One ok, but they did seem to be way overcorrecting the perceived shortcomings of the original movie: pretty much sidestepping the queer issues and attempting to dodge the issue of race with a single scene eye wink.

But they went from the movie's implication that same-sex relationships were almost unheard of in the AAGPBL to the premise they were widespread, almost universal.

From the accounts of players (the dwindling number still around) the reality was somewhere in between -- they certainly existed and were not rare but OTOH they were not widespread.

The issue of race was a whole other deal. No Black players evet played in the real life AAGPBL, but the Season Two storyline probably would have carried forward into 1946 and beyond -- the Jackie Robinson years.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
    Webster and sgreenwell like this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Don’t waste your time with Swamp Kings.

garrow likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Working my way through the new Justified. I’ve loved the first 3 episodes — well written and cast

garrow likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I hate to admit I watched "Northern Rescue." The way it ended was awful. There was no indication there is more coming, but they can't leave all of these people hanging in the state they're in. It certainly wasn't what you expected to happen in the final episode.

6. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Why couldn’t they at least tell us what he’s doing for a job these days? They made it seem like he’s a 30-yr-old millionaire living with his parents nowadays. No redemption, or even maturity, gained. …

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Both Only Murders and the Afterparty had great episodes this week.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the Diplomat a lot more than I thought I would. Hope there's a second season.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Oh, Loretta...

Webster likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

TigerVols and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted