1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

/Sarcasm noted

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just a question, not a rebuttal or anything.
    What is the definition of a prospect? If a guy is brought up to the major league team, is he no longer a prospect? If so, the Angels have maybe 10 rookies with them now, who, if they were still in the minors, would be prospects. In that case, the guys they traded recently wouldn't be their Nos. 2 and 3 prospects, but are more likely their Nos. 12 or 13 prospects.
    Doesn't really matter, the Angels have only deficits to show for their trade deadline work.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's more time than Chad Curtis spent in prison.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jones wasn't good, but he showed flashes of potential for Cleveland. He showed power and patience. He also struck out way too often. I'm not sure the Rockies tweaked anything. A guy who relies so heavily on plate discipline was going to take a little time to develop in the majors no matter where he plays.

5. outofplace

Cute line, but neither guy is a finished product yet. Give me the guy with a high barrel rate and impressive exit velocities over the guy lacking in both power and speed.

JC likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

You're likely correct and Cashman is safe. But I really don't understand why. That 2009 title was a long time ago. And his performance the last few years has been terrible. He rolled out the same lineup that failed last year, somehow thinking it would magically be better this year?

7. TheSportsPredictor

Brito doesn’t lack power and speed. His minors OPS is nearly identical to Jones. And Brito stole more bases in the minors.

Jones is just fine. The Guardians could use this version of him. But they’ll probably win this trade long-term.

8. outofplace

At this point, the prospect pedigree doesn't back that up, but keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Martian goes yard on his first big league swing (off a future HOFer, no less). That was fun to watch.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There's a service time component. After a certain period, you "graduate" from prospect status. I don't remember what that is.
    I have come to view certain players the way the automotive industry views its products. A new car loses a remarkable portion of its value when it is driven off the lot. If an alleged prospect gets a a few weeks in the majors, fails and gets sent back, I want his struggles to continue for a couple of weeks before getting it all together. If he dominates Triple-A, sucks where it matters and then immediately resumes crushing it in Triple-A, I wonder if he's a tweener.

Liut likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

It tells exactly what I posted. Benito’s numbers in the minors basically match Jones.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It's 130 ABs for a position player, 50 IP for a pitcher or 45 days of service time on the active roster prior to Sept. 1 (I'm fairly sure on the last part, the first two are certain). I believe the latter rule was changed when someone pretty good (I want to say Larry Walker but per a quick Google search, he was hurt the year before he made it to the majors) missed an entire season with an injury but accrued the service time to lose his rookie eligibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted