1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 2, 2023.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The record will show that Bubba grew older, but not up.

Sail on, Bubba.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

RIP.

It's a five o'clock (service) somewhere. I was just humming the opening lyrics to "Come Monday" a few minutes ago before seeing this news because it's the Labor Day weekend. How coincidental.

My UF roommate turned me on to everything previous to "Margaritaville." Obviously he was well-known in south Florida for a number of years before he finally broke out nationally. Everything from Living and Dying to A1A are really well-written and produced, and while most Parrotheads are into the Big Eight, I much prefer his pre-sellout stuff.

I think my favorite Buffett song is either "A Pirate Looks at 40" or "Chanson Pour Les Petits Enfants" from Volcano. "He Went to Paris" would be right up there as well.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This one hurts more than most. Part of the soundtrack of my life.

One of the top 10 people I would have liked to spend a wasted afternoon with.

RIP.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He was grateful for what he had and realized he simply struck lightning in a bottle with his success.

"One of my 2.4 hit records."

qtlaw, SFIND, 2muchcoffeeman and 2 others like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Whomever wrote the NYT headline "Roguish Bard of Island Escapism" deserves an extra umbrella in their drink.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Tough news to wake up to.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

One day while on assignment in Belize I was driving a golf cart along a dirt path near San Pedro when I see riding towards me on a bike the unmistakable Jimmy Buffet. Knowing that my friend was once his boss at Billboard I shouted out, “Gerry Wood says hello!”
    Jimmy exploded in laughter and stopped to share a story about our mutual former colleague. Soon enough we talked about his seaplane anchored in the harbor nearby and he ended up throwing his bike on the back of my cart and driving us over to the plane to give me a tour.
    We spent about an hour together that day and it’s undoubtedly the most random adventure I’ve ever been on.
    RIP indeed.

Big Circus, Dog8Cats, SFIND and 24 others like this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Mine is “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes.”

My wife doesn’t get the Buffett thing, either. She always says she hates the steel drum sound — I think it’s just that she’s kind of a musical snob and she feels like Buffett’s music is aimed at a bunch of drunken idiots.

But to me, there’s not much to get. It’s catchy, happy, often silly, sometimes deep and introspective, but always FUN.

Several years ago, I won tickets to a Buffett concert at Fair Park in Dallas from a radio contest. My then-wife and I were not exactly on let’s-go-out-on-a-fun-date terms at the time, so I took one of my kids. It was my third go-round seeing him live, but for my son, it was an eye-opening experience — and I’m just talking about the scene in the parking lot. We had a blast. We sang along with the songs, batted a beach ball around and laughed and smiled a lot.

I wouldn’t call myself a parrothead (though I did wear a Hawaiian shirt to all his concerts I went to), but I am definitely a big fan.

So long, Jimmy. I’ll Miss You So Badly.

PS: Wonder how Jimmy’s uncle Warren is holding up.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I think I saw 7 shows. I honestly mix up my tally on Buffett shows and hurricanes I’ve ridden out. Both have much in common.

Favorite song (of his and all time): Son of a Son of a Sailor.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I recognize the value of 70's pop escapism. Of which there was a great deal sandwiched between the political rock of the 60s and the arrival of disco.

What I guess I'm talking about is the cultural build-out after Margaritaville.

Plenty of bands had equally catchy hits and live show staying power - but opened no h0tels or theme parks or Broadway shows.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Does this include ...

OscarMadison, maumann and Azrael like this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

1. The Captain and the Kid
    2. Livingston Saturday Night
    3. He Went to Paris
    4. Tampico Trauma
    5. Havana Daydreamin'

Draft saved Draft deleted