1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 2, 2023.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Like 'Afternoon Delight,' an absolute natural for a chain of singles bars.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

We saw him at Stubb’s in Austin a few years ago, and we were standing about 6 feet from the stage. He always kicked off his touts at Stubb’s. Austin had experienced some serious flooding after a bunch of rain earlier in the week, and Buffett donated his take from that show back to flood relief efforts.

RIP, indeed.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

God forbid anyone should capitalize on his talent and popularity.

Maybe he was just smarter than those other acts.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I see your call and raise you this:

OscarMadison, Driftwood and Azrael like this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wait, Magnum’s friend/antagonist made a hit song?

WriteThinking and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's not a criticism, it's a question.

Even taking into account his business acumen, there's something in Buffett's music that accounts for the success and staying power of all the other enterprises.

What is it?

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I have an old friend/former co-worker who wears the parrothead with pride -- he mixes in singing/songwriting with sportswriting and a day gig with the VA.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This one hurts. His concerts have been a staple of my summers since I was 16. His music since I was 12 or 13. His music caused me to read different books and study different maps. He was a hell of an author in addition to songwriter.

1. Come Monday
    2. Stories We Could Tell
    3. 12 Volt Man
    4. If I Could Just Get It On Paper
    5. Tin Cup Chalice

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Buffett, like Tony Bennett and Gordon Lightfoot, was one of those singers you always hear in the background of life. You don't need to dissect every lyric like one would with, say, Bob Dylan. Just good listening.

No offense intended to Parrotheads, Tony fans on the sportsjournalists.com tradition that is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," of course.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Branding, my friend.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Putting aside the entire escapism thing … his entire catalog encompasses every single emotion I have ever experienced. He did songs about his little kids, losing loved ones, lost loves, current loves, being dissatisfied at work, old friends, etc. I can find a Buffett song to fit any mood or life event.

Draft saved Draft deleted