1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 2, 2023.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I didn’t really get the Buffett thing either until I moved to Tropical America a couple years ago. Not as much of the music as the vibe.

It’s like the Dead. I don’t really enjoy the music but I can respect the vibe.

What can’t be denied is the economic impact of Buffett’s empire. The allure to cubicle and desk workers in their late 40s (like myself) can be very deep… even without the music.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It’s like Greg Norman with golf. Never the best but always interesting.

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The branding involves a lot of ingredients.

On a top level:
    Someone above just said escapism.
    Tropics
    Vacation
    Drinking
    Cuban, Hispanic influences - music and drinks
    Margaritas obviously, and he popularized them
    Island influences - steel drums for example
    Visuals - warm climates, shorts, Hawaiian shirts
    Sailing, boating
    etc. drugs?
    etc.

Then add meaningful, understandable, relatable songs and stories.

The above just scratches the topic a little and are my initial thoughts. Feel free to add.

But a few years ago when Wheel of Fortune started having “Margaritaville Week”, I did ask myself, WTF? Hotels, vacation properties? These people have taken this a LONG way from smoking weed in a concert parking lot.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Superficially, his songs are about a carefree lifestyle we aspire to that can be attained with as little (cheeseburger & beer) or as much (islands and boats) disposable income as one has. I do not like his music but I've usually had a great experience at the tailgates being surrounded by people all letting loose and communally having a good time.*

Like @exmediahack said, it's the vibe. Many of us would like to live inside of a Jimmy Buffett song. I'm a metal/punk guy through and through and I would like to live in a Jimmy Buffett song. I would not want to live inside an Iron Maiden, Rammstein, or Carcass song. Similarly, while I love the music and message in Bad Religion and Pennywise tunes, I already live in the society they sing about and, yeah, I'd prefer to take up residence in Jimmy's zip code.

*less so in recent years with the country bro crossover

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It also helps that the boomers and Gen Xers who fired up blenders in parking lots 30 years ago for a concert now have the disposable income to go to a Margaritaville hotel or take a Margaritaville cruise (although I've heard this is the Big Lots of cruising).

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yep.

[​IMG]

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Said without the least bit of derision or snark:
    If I have to explain it to you, I can’t explain it to you.
    (Posted sitting on the beach drinking a beer with a copy of Tales From Margaritaville in my lap).

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A1A at the Herald and Sun Sentinel.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The copy of TFM I am reading is my reprint edition. First edition is at the house.

anyway, in the forward, Buffett talks about being in Belize. I wonder if that ties into @TigerVols story! Also he brings up Travis McGee, and that ties into conversations we had in the hurricane thread earlier this week.
    Live your life folks. Every day and every person you meet is a gift.

Draft saved Draft deleted