1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 2, 2023.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he's top 5 of wealthiest musical performers behind only JayZ, McCartney, and Rhianna. Prolly makes up for no Grammys. :oops:

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

NYT send out a breaking news email at 4:19 Central this morning. That lends weight to the A1 argument. They don’t do that for many people.

3. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

1. Migration
    2. Miss You So Badly
    3. Distantly In Love
    4. Death of an Unpopular Poet
    5. He Went to Paris
    6. Love in the Library

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If they’ve got their dad’s work ethic, they may triple whatever he left them.

Dog8Cats and OscarMadison like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just because we're a sports board, sorta. Didn't he get thrown out of a game by a ref once?

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Today is a day to listen to The Captain and the Kid.

Slacker, Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Both of the most serious significant others I’ve had in my life (the one I married and the other I didn’t) have had some passing fancy to Buffet. Not sure what it says about me and my appreciation of metal, pop-punk, folk rock and a smattering of 80s rock.

But when the Mrs. and I were dating and really getting more serious in our relationship, we had some silly thing where we couldn’t find a salt shaker and it turned into a running thing with the song. Mrs. Highlander-Spartan is disappointed today. I’m not as disappointed as some of you as I never got too deep into his music, but both relationships are on my mind today and I guess that’s the point of Buffet.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Saw him once. I'm more into music than singing and theatrics. But it was damn fun.
    A few times they let the band just go for it and their rock 'n' roll was great. I was up and dancing. Everybody was having a good time.
    RIP to an icon.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I do hope the family releases the cause of death. It’s not that the public has a “right” to know, but if someone has lived their life in and made their fortune from the public for 50 years, then the public deserves some kind of closure. It doesn’t have to be detailed. Just say cancer, stroke, heart attack, whatever.
    Start a foundation to research whatever it was. I’ll kick in.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. John

John Well-Known Member

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

His greatest hits compilation was the soundtrack to a road trip me and my high school buddies took in the summer of '92. When you're 18, few things are funnier than playing "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw" over and over and over again. I never got any deeper into the catalogue but as has been noted on this thread, it was impossible to not have some connection to his music and appreciation for what it (and he) embodied. RIP.

FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. That's something you can never be ready for no matter how much preparation you've taken on.

Same here. I'm more of a Robert Earl Keen/Todd Snider kind of listener when it comes to live-venue storytellers. (Or as close as I'll get to it without actually suffering a crowd.)

Handlers who go-fered for Buffett had nice things to say about him. I like that what he did made people happy.

That might be a nice consolation if not as much fun as an actual Jimmy Buffett concert. It might work Remember this?

maumann, 2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted