1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Sep 2, 2023.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, New Orleans: Absolutely.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given his health issues over the past year, I’m guessing an aggressive cancer. It seems like he knew what was coming.

Edit: Conchs are saying cancer.

https://x.com/marcacaputo/status/1698015371402305914?s=46&t=wVPJyeunUA-4G1zuWq69ug

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
    Driftwood likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He had some cameo appearances as a renegade chopper pilot on the new version of "Hawaii 5-0."

He and Steve Forbert are probably my two favorite individual male artists, and they're from adjacent states. Luckily Forbert is still with us.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Two of my favorites, no doubt about it. I saw Forbert about five years ago before a crowd of 40 at a microbrewery around here. Underappreciated talent.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great Filling Station Holdup
    Pencil Thin Mustache
    Biloxi
    Come Monday
    Son of a Son

Never saw him (or went to a Margaritaville, closest I came was one in Myrtle Beach that was lined up way out the door) but always enjoyed his music.

Anyone else here read his novel, Where Is Joe Merchant? I remember really enjoying it.

6. Inky_Wretch

TMZ is reporting he was diagnosed with skin cancer four years and it progressed to lymphoma.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I may have posted this (not going back to look) or texted it among the many that have gone back and forth today, but when he was first hospitalized last year, my cousin and I speculated he had a stroke because when photos first started popping back up on social media, they were either from behind or cut off half his body.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Driftwood

It's worth noting that Buffett helped found Save the Manatee, to which I have donated generously over the years. I think I'll go make another one today.

maumann, garrow, FileNotFound and 3 others like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

If TMZ is correct, he’d been undergoing treatment at MD Anderson for several years.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

12. Driftwood

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted