1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’m thinking Charlie Morton is hiding a injury from around the second inning today.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Robo Umps in AAA:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/08...ved-minor-leagues-heres-how-its-been-working/

Don't get so excited about some of your favorite AAA prospects' numbers this year.

May be paywalled.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think Florial was released earlier this year and came back when no one else wanted him. I wish I remembered who the Yankees didn't get at the deadline because they wouldn't trade him. The legacy of Cashman's back 9 will be:
    -His extraordinary ability to find excellent relievers off of other teams' scrap heaps
    -His inability to develop starting pitchers in a way that doesn't seem strategic the way it was for Theo who viewed them as less predictable and chose to draft and develop hitters, and when they're ready, buy established pitchers for cash or prospects. Curse of Joba? It's interesting to see King go from high leverage reliever to opener to full-fledged SP. I wonder if he's in the rotation next year.
    -Most damning of all will be his infatuation with his own prospects which each year kept him from getting the SP they needed at the deadline (Verlander, Castillo etc.) and always trying to get the bargain further down the market (Gray, Montas) with predictable results.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

With all the caveats about how these kids are going to look overmatched at some point soon, it's undeniably hilarious the Yankees finally called up Dominguez & Wells and then promptly swept the fucking ASTROS and the Mets won a series from the Mariners after calling up Mauricio. I'm not sure I'd trust Cashman and Eppler to team up to draft a fantasy team.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lives up to the caption:

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

More insightful than anybody actually getting paid to do the games. I'd listen to him over the guys doing the Tigers on TV right now.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Loves Houston, supports the Astros, is wearing a Royals cap.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No, he said he supports the Asteroids.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Oh, good, I'm not the only one who caught that. Actually, I think Asteroids would be cool name for a team somewhere; Arena Football, maybe?

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Do you know how much I wish I was sitting next to that guy than 95 percent of the people I end up sitting next to at baseball games? Including people I invite to games?

I mean no one will ever match the group of six jovial Canadians who kept buying me beers during a twinight doubleheader in Cleveland once, but who could?

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm just glad the Post went a different direction at least for one headline

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s so foreign to me as a midwesterner to have a terrible baseball team’s exploits in September be trumpeted in fonts reserved for winning the World Series.

Imagine: AT WITT’S END! ROYALS SMASH TIGERS!

Draft saved Draft deleted