1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

was the reporter in ? Doing that? She appears to be a sideline/TV stand up person was she even in the box?

I agree demonstrative stuff in a working area that’s disruptive to others trying to work is out of bounds. Didn’t get the gist that’s what we were discussing, though.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Why?

Again, I think her tweet was an overreaction to the win. But excitement that her alma mater won? Professionally, that's a net positive for her.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Which is why the print/electronic chasm is there in terms of bias.

(Don't worry, I'll fix that myself.)

Which is why the print/electronic chasm used to be there in terms of bias.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

(whispering). It's really not.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Holy shit is this ever a perfect summation for my shrug to Pearlman's reaction. His entire Twitter feed right now is him pitching Winning Time (which he should be doing!). What's the difference between rooting for dipshit Deion or telling everyone to watch the show that's gonna put your kids thru college? Each one would be frowned upon within the ivy-colored walls of journalism school. And once Pearlman is done pitching Winning Time, he'll be back to telling us about that time John Rocker wanted to beat him up and Will Clark took Rocker's side, b/c that's what he's been doing for 20+ years.

Liut and SFIND like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Rules of Serious Journalism we were taught as an inheritance and a sacred trust were lovely and important and logical and we’d all be better off for following them. In the long arc of history though, they stayed relevant for less time than AM radio, a bit longer than 8 tracks. And the marketplace reaction ranged between indifference and hostility.

If you want to write or shoot videos for Art, that narrow lane remains open. If you do it under a masthead or a call sign, you are taking on the yoke of a commercial venture.

Big Circus, Alma, SFIND and 4 others like this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Local TV sports news is not journalism. Romi is example 1A of that here.

8. PCLoadLetter

(insert vigorous wanking gesture here)

Just checked the Denver Post's coverage and saw the "We Believe, Coach Prime" headline.

Liut, MileHigh and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I've said it before, but when the shit hit the fan and newspapers started downspiraling 15 years ago, the suits were the ones who suddenly decided that we can forget about all those old rules ... all those old rules that had been rigidly supported and polished for all those fuckin' DECADES.

10. MileHigh

Yeah, he's a shill. On many fronts. Not a fan. Where is everyone at Thanksgiving when they're 4-7?

11. MileHigh

And reading the column .... he defends Sanders slamming Werder as if he's not part of the cult/CU cheerleading unti.

After working over the Horned Frogs like Joe Louis, Coach Prime worked the scribes like Muhammad Ali.

Deion Sanders, 1-0, leaned into the microphone, his best friend for decades, and read the receipts he’d been keeping for months. Loud and proud.

“You said this. You said that,” Sanders chuckled after his Buffs stunned No. 17 TCU, and the free world, with a 45-42 win at Amon G. Carter Stadium. “Now what? Everybody’s quiet now. Now what? Now what?”

Another face. Another receipt.

“What’s up boss? Do you believe now?”

“Believe in what?”

“Oh, no, no. I read through that bull junk you wrote. I read through that. I sifted through it. No, no. Come on. Do you believe? Do you believe? Didn’t answer me. You don’t believe. Next question.”

They’ll believe.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wilbon wearing a Cubs jersey on ESPN after his team won the WS was the breaking point for me and that was seven years ago. Want to get more upset but I can't. When Ms. Bean moves to her next job there is zero, zip, zilch chance that this kind of stuff is held against her.

SFIND, Patchen and MileHigh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted