1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

She's not young though. She's 36. She graduated from Colorado in 2010, not 2021

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Column, I assume. It’s the first thing that comes up under the “college” tab on the website.

So… a column saying “We believe, Coach Prime” is cool…. But a tweet saying she’s excited for her alma mater is bad?

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Depending on the content of the column, probably? Depending on if the columnist has been saying, man I don't see how this is going to work or did something last week about how can they compete with TCU, probably?

It's one thing to give a nuance opinion in 800 whatever words than just YEAAAAAA GO TEAM GO decked out in the school's colors

Liut likes this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Frankly, I could care less that she attended school in Boulder. Means nothing to me in this context.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

She's actually their top sports anchor now. I don't really mind her. Kind of like her for the most part. A lot of her socials are like this or basically promoting herself. However with this one she went pretty out there even for her.

Still, does anyone really think this hasn't happened for eons in TV? I lived and worked in Nebraska more than 20 years ago now and every TV anchor wore red. I guess it just is what it is.

I went to CSU. I don't like CU for a lot of reasons, and honestly sports just tips that iceberg (I may have touched on some of the personal element here at one point). That said, the whole freaking area is so gaga over Deion that I just roll my eyes at this point. You should see my school's fan board. It's basically Coach Prime Light.

Also, from a media perspective, there at least traditionally have been a lot of CU types around here over the years, and behind the scenes it is very CU homerish, which is funny because as Mile High and I have said over and over about the true interest of Front Range sports, it is the Broncos first, second, third, fourth, and beyond -- and you know the TV stations really love them too. When I was just a young cub covering the 1998 CSU-CU game at Mile High when the Rams hadn't won the game in like 15 years and blew the crap out of the Buffs, that press box was not a happy place for several CU homer TV personalities, one in particular that is still on the Denver airwaves today. I am pretty sure he almost broke a table. But he didn't cheer! On a side note, the cops tear gassed the CSU students for mostly being happy for winning that game finally, and it mostly went onto the field where players still were. That was fun.

My first full-time job was in Wyoming and it was known I went to CSU (another big rival). You better believe I was as outwardly unbiased as anyone you could ever see ever!

Anyway, I don't know. It's a show for her, right? And seriously, as big as Coach Prime has been nationwide, it is more ridiculous here. It just all sort of fits.

Liut and MileHigh like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Haha that's great, I had a similar experience during my prep days. "Teams A, B and C are out in the first round, fuckin' a, we're almost done for the season!"

I see MLB beat writers acting like this now too, which I sort of find weird (if you're going to deal with eight months of the day-to-day grind, why not want a chance to write about the most important games?) but is also evidence they're not rooting for the home team, so in the end, it's a net positive?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So does the only long-time sports anchor in the market where I currently reside. His problem is he thinks he can make off with players and get post-game stuff with them before the rest of us. Um ... no.

8. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

Almost always, anchors are the worst.

9. Typist Clerk

Apparently not in Denver.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. Typist Clerk

If you watch KCNC regularly, tell us if Ms. Bean covered Sanders running most of the old team off the roster, and if she did any stories on where those players went (and on those who may have stayed at Colorado).

Dog8Cats likes this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I’m going to take a slightly different approach.

When there’s an upset in a primary election, an indictment of a public official or a conviction in a high-profile criminal case, do we accept or expect our local anchors to cheer or wear a pin or symbol showing their opinion?

This isn’t as cut and dried of an answer as it used to be in broadcasting. A whole lot of US flag were pinned to anchors’ lapels (and on newspaper mastheads, too) about 22 years ago. Quite a few cable news networks — and local Sinclair-owned TV stations — have gone all-in on the biased and opinionated reporting.

Liut likes this.
  12. Typist Clerk

A Google search for Ms. Bean's bio comes up with this: She was a Denver Broncos cheerleader for five years while a student at Colorado-Boulder, where she majored in business management. Maybe she took a journalism class or two on the side.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted