1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No, you CAN'T root in the damn press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

No one in a press box cares where you went to college.

Liut likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think celebrity alone accounts for it.

Clicks are currency.

The more clicks, the more followers = the more desirable you are to advertisers and potential employers.

In the same way newspaper columnists used to brag up their circulation numbers.

SixToe and Liut like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The next time your city pays for a billion dollar stadium it doesn't need - and helps no one but a rich owner get richer - ask yourself if there's a difference between journalism and boosterism.

Dog8Cats, jr/shotglass and SFIND like this.
  4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

1. This feels like a throwback SJ thread. Love the discussion on it.

2. I will quibble with this notion. I have friends who do TV for local stations and have done an excellent job reporting/breaking hard news that can be sensitive. That's what's so annoying. Romi makes the rest of TV folks look bad.

garrow and maumann like this.
  5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had a woman working for me who we used to call the Black Widow for her ability to eliminate local teams from the playoffs just by showing up at the games. It was a valuable skill.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes ... and that is not a good thing.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We had a guy like that years ago. If he'd have covered the '72 Dolphins, they would have lost.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Where's Langston Rogers when you need him?

SixToe likes this.
  9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This isn't exclusive to TV, though. It's just more amplified and noticed, especially in today's Fanboi/gurl "Seee meeeee?!?" social clicky-numbers world.

We've seen newspaper people - reporters, beat writers, columnists - who were suckups and homers. They either disguised it or tap-danced along the lines. TV definitely has its share of mushy apples but not all of them are terrible.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I always found "objectivity" to be in the eye of the beholder, and again there's a huge difference between reporting and opining. It's obvious some papers want their people to slant the coverage to reflect the home team, but does that still allow for an impartial observation?

For some major metros, it's definitely hometown slanted, but here's where it gets tricky. And particularly when it's a columnist rather than a beat writer.

Was Bob Ryan objective when fawning over Larry Bird during his time with the Celtics, or did he also point out the times where Bird fell short? He profited off writing a book with the guy.

Is Peter Gammons so well-connected that he knows the Red Sox better than most, or is he just Boston-centric because that's what his readers expect?

And I've never seen a New York Post story that ever gave the other team credit for winning. It's always how the Yankees, Mets, Jets, Giants, Knicks or Rangers didn't execute or gave the game away to a much-inferior foe in some fashion.

While John Feinstein is a wonderful author, would you consider his ACC or golf books to be objective, particularly in the Coach K-Dean Smith pedestal polishing?

You don't have to root openly in the press box to appear biased. If your slant makes it sound like anyone but "your guys" don't have a part to play in the outcome, isn't that just as bad?

And in the case of Colorado cutie, she's not there to win a Pulitzer, or even sit near the press box. She's the equivalent of a local sideline cheerleader with a microphone.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Let me pose a question: Who is serving the reader more: the fanboi writer or the curmudgeon who's been on the beat 25 years, doesn't break any news (because the national people all do), and clearly hates his job and readers (and the contempt he feels for both shows daily in his writing)?

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

There have been few moments in my life more disappointing than realizing Peter Gammons was the clothes-less emperor (symbolically, of course).

Fdufta and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted